Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2004 19:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Cook I am asking my employer to provide me with appropriate training in H&S but am unsure which way to go. I am responsible for a variety of workshops within a prison setting. The areas covered include, a joiery machine shop, a joinery assembly shop, industrial cleaning, laundry, hairdressing, painting& decorating, construction and gymnasium and external community work placements. All of these areas are used to train and qualify prisoners using a wide variety of equipment and resources. Part of my responsibilities include the need to carry out risk assessmnets (internally and externally)and accident investigations. I would welcome any advice as to the level of qualification I should be pursuing. I have been offered funding for the general certificate but am unsure as to whther this would be sufficient. John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2004 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samantha Fisher It may not be sufficient in the long term but would be a good start. It would give you a far better understanding of what additional information you feel you need to carry out your tasks. It would cover the basics of risk assessment, competency and legislation. After completing this you would be in a more informed position to go back to your employer and ask for further training which he should provide to ensure you are competent to carry out the job. Good luck.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas John, I will e-mail you direct, we are in the same business. Aye, Rod
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2004 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George John Isn't it a shame that all we have to do is break the law and get caught and then we could all benefit from your courses. Does rehabilitation really work or would a length of rope and a sky hook be more appropriate? What do you do in case of an emergency situation where you have to evacuate the building. Surely all your doors are locked and only one would get you to total safety ie outside the prison -- What happens to your -- what are they these days, convicts, inmates or guests? Where do they go? If its an OA thing then no problem but highly curious as Stafford had a bomb threat - a real home made nail bomb, the staff left through the front gate and the scallywags got left inside. Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Kelvin, ????....................No sorry you've completely lost me there!!! Are you working with solvents without a mask by any chance??
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2004 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Certainly start with the NEBOSH Certificate - it is a very good basis for anyone going into health and safety. However, you really need a higher qualification following on from this based on the working areas you describe. Go for the NEBOSH first and then see what is available afterwards ie Diploma, NVQ or whatever. Hilary