Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2004 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Dear all,

I am looking for a bit of advice on an issue regarding a member of staff who has just come back to work after a Heart Bypass (He is 60), he undertakes Janitorial Duties, which at times can be strenuous to say the least.

He had is Op in Dec 03 and came back to work in May 04 (5 months recovery) and we advised him not to undertake any heavy lifting for the first few weeks. He has had an occuppational health interview and they have stated he should undertake "Light Duties" for the nexy few months (should they not undertake a workplace assessment?)

However this would put an enormous amount of pressure on the other Janitor if he was not to undertake any lifting.

I will undertake a workplace assessment on this Janitor to monitor his progress over five to ten working days, does anyone out there have any template that I could use on this issue?

The problem is he does not want to leave and I am sure he is not being totally honest with his Line Manager and Occupppational Health about his condition.

Any help or advise on this issue would be greatly appreciated..

Aye,

Rod D
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2004 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
I'll get ma coat..............

Aye,

Rod
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2004 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Rod,

I'm sure you don't need telling that the RA has to take into account the capabilities of the individual.

If as you say, he is worried about his real condition being used against him, then I think he needs pointing towards the Disability Discrimination Act.

I'm prepare to be corrected on this, but my understanding is the the DDA specifically stops employers giving temporary or permantly disabled people the elbow on the grounds of not being able to do certain tasks.

To change the subject - how do you fancy England's chances tonight?

Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Jim,

Thanks for that.

2-1 England

Come on lads.

Aye,

Rod
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2004 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven
Rod

It might be worth contacting the local Job Centre and asking about the "Access to Work" scheme. I think I am correct in saying that this scheme can provide assistance (including financial support) for employers wishing to retain employees who are personally affected by the DDA, recouperating after surgery, etc

Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 June 2004 02:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By azman abdul aziz
Dear Rod,
I am sympathize to the janitor's condition and he should be assisted or only doing light duty job only.
I suggest you to log in to 'Manual Handling-a short guide' and you focus on assessment list pertaining to light duties.

Hope you get what you want.

azman
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 June 2004 07:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By azman abdul aziz
Rod,
I sympathize whats is happening.

its the right thing to assist him or relieve him from heavy duties.
You can log in into 'manual handling riak assessment-a short guide' which might help you to develop a simplfied format and to justify his situation.

Best of Luck

azman