Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2004 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J. Hi, Problem — I work for a multiple site organisation. At one of our establishments we can’t get anyone to come forward and be trained as a first aider even with an incentive payment on offer (not a huge amount I admit, £300.00 per year). Thus we are having problems meeting the first aid regs. My view, if they won’t volunteer then we need to conscript them and make it part of their duties. My colleagues in personnel are not happy with the idea particularly as we are strongly unionised. Any one else encounter similar problems and or apply the same solution? Experience and advice would be very welcome
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2004 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek David, If first-aiders are doing it for the money, then it's the wrong reason (we pay the princely sum of £104 pa - taxable!). Do not even consider conscripting employees. Not everybody can cope with an emergency situation, it takes a certain type of character & you cannot force people to assist. Have you thought of introducing Appointed Persons rather than fully certificated First-Aiders?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2004 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Get out there and talk to the guys on the shop floor and ask them why they are not interested. Maybe they are not all fully aware of the request and the benefits you offer. Have a chat with the shop steward too, then the safety reps. It wouldn't be the first time the union had failed to support a management request. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2004 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Kinnison My advice. Up the incentive: i.e. pay more on the honarium and/or pay more for a 'position of reponsibility' (promote on spinal system if in operation). Depending on the levels of occupancy and nature of work at the sites your organisation could be breech of the First Aid regs if operating without first aid cover. Are the employees aware that they would be covered by the company whilst at work in their role as First Aider? I have experience of workers being misinformed believing that they would be personally liable if they provided 'treatment'. I understand that employees do percieve this fear in the 'claim culture'. Easily solved b the company/organisation stating that their First aiders are covered. In my organisation we are fortunate to have plenty of volunteers but no regretably no financial incentives for first aiders.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham I agree with David about the (unfounded) fear of liability, I've heard people state that they would never learn first aid for this reason (sad isn't it) and questions about this issue regularly come up on first aid courses.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2004 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie Isn't saving someone's life reward enough?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2004 06:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Eden I agree with "you can't make some be a 1st Aider", that is force them to become one against their will, but why you haven't got any volenteers makes me wounder what sort of relationship your managerment have with the work force with regards to other safety issues. One incentive is to pay for insurance to cover first aiders outside of their working enviroment, St Johns supply one for about £25 or so. best of luck M.Eden
Admin  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2004 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek David, Lots of good advice about talking to employees/liaising with the Unions & having the opportunity to dispel some myths re liabilities. A couple of years ago I was offered an "Emergency First-Aid course" as part of my involvement with a Premier League Football Club - no financial incentive involved. I saw it as a chance to learn one of those life skills, but hoped that I would never be put to the test. Within 2 weeks, my son had a serious asthma attack & as a direct result of my training I was able to deal with the situation. The issue of financial incentives worries me as employees may come forward for purely these reasons, but may not have what it takes to put any training into practice. For those of you that have had to carry out CPR on a real person, rather than in sterile conditions with "Resusci-Annie" during training, will know that it's an entirely different ball game. Good luck with your quest!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2004 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews I agree with Zyggy, financial incentives are not the way to get the right type of person to be a first aider. When I was a shop steward (and first aider) I opposed our management when they wanted to give a payment of £200 per year to first aiders, on the grounds that I didn't want my members relying on people who are doing it just for the money to give them assistance in an emergency. I lost the argument and donated my payment to cancer research. Far better to convince people of the personal benefits. Like Zyggy I was able to what I had learned to save my son when he almost drowned in a sailing accident. I'm convinced. Richard