Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2004 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor Can somebody help me to clear up a confusion about the use of highly flammable liquids in a workroom. My understanding is that the 1972 Highly Flammable Regs restricted the ammount of highly flammable liquid for use in any workroom to 500cc. Now that these regs have been repealed by DSEAR there doesn't appear to be an equivalent restriction in DSEAR - am I right in thinking that this specific restrictyion no longer applies and that safe useage is based upon risk assessment? Are there other Codes of Practice, BS standards etc etc that specify limitations? many thansk to anyone that can help Martin Taylor
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2004 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Ruddock Good question. On a recent visit to our premises by the fire service they were still refering to the 72 reg's and limited quantities, despite DSEAR. My advise would be to continue using the quantities advised in the 72 regs unless a good risk assessment and control measures can show that it is safe to lift the quantities stored. Norman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2004 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion Would recommend the following document Code of Practice 7 - 2004 edition. Storage of full and empty LPG cylinders and cartridges. From LP Gas Association 01425 461612 £38.00. Have a copy so can offer some advice. Send e-mail direct if required. JM
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2004 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Refer to the ACoP & Guidance to DSEAR- "Storage of dangerous substances" -L135 There is ACoP & guidance on the Storage in process areas and workrooms paras 37, 38, 39 & 40 The ACoP requires the quantity should be as small as is reasonably practicable . The guidance states:- For flammable liquids that have a flashpoint above the maximum ambient temperature (normally taken as 32 °C), this small quantity that may be stored in the workroom is considered to be an amount up to 250 litres. For extremely and highly flammable liquids and those flammable liquids with a flashpoint below the maximum ambient temperature the small quantity is considered to be up to 50 litres.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2004 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor Thanks Jay - this is a perfect answer for me - I have the publication as well - just not looking in the right place regards MT