Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2004 13:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By rory patrick reed Can anyone give me a steer please. We have written to solicitors for definition of "special appliances" as the organisation for some reason seems to feel that the definition in the approved code of practice is not sufficient. Would this include contact lenses, my view is that it could but need something on paper to support this. Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2004 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins It's my understanding that corrective appliances means spectacles with specific lenses to suit screen distance. In practice though most employers will pay an equivalent amount toward "other" corrective applicances, be they bifocals/varifocals or contact lenses if that is what the "user" normally wears. Alan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2004 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Rory The ACoP states that 'special corrective appliances' would normally be spectacles. This allows for some variation, therefore, depending on the individual concerned. I would expect spectacles to be provided unless there was some overriding ophthalmic reason for contact lenses. If someone prefers contact lenses then, as said above, the employer can provide the cost of a basic pair of glasses and the individual can provide the balance of the cost. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2004 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack The provision of contact lenses as special corrective appliances is not ruled out under the regulations but in practice it is unlikely that contact lenses would be satisfactory. Special corrective appliances are prescribed for the distance at which the screen is viewed. It follows that when the user changes to a different work activity or leaves their workstation for any other reason, they will need to remove their special corrective appliance to see clearly at other distances. This would be highly inconvenient with contact lenses. See http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/16-3.htm
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2004 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews Any corrective appliances (including spectacles or contact lenses) that an employee would normally wear for other activities are not covered by the employers liability. I would say that contact lenses would not be covered for the reason that Jack gave, i.e. they would not be suitable for use exclusively at the DSE viewing distance. Richard