Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2004 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Hi everyone, My previous posting of this appears to have fallen on deaf ears... As part of our music degree we ask local bands to play (unpaid) in our studios for students to record and mix their tracks. Although I am comfortable that we have no duty of care in relation to manual handling issues (them carrying their own equipment in and out) I do have reservations regarding a duty of care under the Noise at Work Regulations while they are playing for us. Our risk assessment for our staff/students will obviously also protect the members of the band (probably limiting exposure by time) but we have no control over what other exposure the band may have during the working day. There must be some music industry experts out there who can advise me on this... Many thanks Alan Hoskins
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Since no-one else has chipped in previously, I'll take a stab at it. Firstly - why have you no duty of care for manual handling? Surely it would be your joint responsibilities to ensure that there were no unnecessary barriers to safe handling (circuitous routes extending carrying time, force required, sudden and dramatic changes in temperature or environment etc. etc.) just as much as it is the responsibility of the band to have adequate lifting aids, planned their route and ensured a safe and appropriate drop-off point. Secondly - are they breaching the 1st or 2nd action levels? If not, there is no problem. If so, then it may be more complicated than we can deal with here. Note that under the '89 Regs (s.13) it is possible to seek an exemption certificate from the HSE - perhaps best advice is therefore to contact them and seek advice. You cannot be the only one that has been in this position. The British Musicians Union has a health & safety section - try contacting them for advice. Link: http://www.musiciansunio....uk/health/welcome.shtml
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2004 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Alan The jury is still out on this one. Have a look at HSE research report 026 available on HSE website.