Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2004 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Longworth I'm fairly new to this forum, although I've been involved in health and safety for a fair old while, but I must say that there does seem to be a lot of "What are we", "where do we stand" type of thread on here. Are we, as H&S professionals really that insecure that we need to go in for all this contemplation of navels. As long as I am confident that I am providing a good service I don't care what the Jeremy Clarksons of this world think.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2004 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee I'll second that.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2004 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof Right on. Reminds me of a conference at Harrogate several years ago. All theory and not one piece of practical advice on how to get the job done. Examining minutae gets us the press we deserve. Taking Jeremy seriously is also a symptom of insecurity - which now seems to have spread to the senior echelons of IOSH. See this months mag.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2004 16:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J. Have to agree with the sentiment. Why do we (ok some of us) have to justify every move we make? Perhaps a symptom of, perhaps a reflection on the way in which some “professional" H&S officers, consultants whatever get pedantic about trivia. The job, as I see it is to prevent ill health and accidents (not going to go into the how, why etc.), by providing as good a service as we can given our own limitations, resources the general view of safety we have to encounter on a daily basis and the nature of human beings. So as the man says stop worrying about criticism from the individual mentioned or others who are really only trying to wind IOSH up, unfortunately succeeding with consummate ease, and just get on with what we do at the same time taking cognises of reasonable constructive criticism. We Anita perfect.. but then who is!!!!!!!!. As my old off the job apprentice training instructor used to say “the man or woman that never made a mistake never made anything”
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2004 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews David Who's Anita? (sorry couldn't resist it) Richard
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2004 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter That spellchecker function aint perfect. It does pay to read what it's actually done to your message!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2004 21:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Peter. In essence, I agree, however it is not what we may think of Mr Clarkson, or not think as the case may be, but the impression he may give to others, including those in the workplace who watch his shows, read his columns...and form a bias opinion from his judgments. For a person of Mr Clarksons obvious intellegence and talent to purvey a view that the health and safety guy is a waste of space and that he only seeks to wrap everyone up in cotton wool and prevent perople from having fun, is not very clever and not very helpful... In view of some of the programmes of his that I have seen, he seems quite capable of portraying serious issues in a serious manner, and perhaps we should, instead of inviting him to defend his wilder views, challenge him to produce some serious views on health and safety... I'm sure Formular 1 for example would be right up his street! Regards... Stuart
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 July 2004 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Parry To some degree I agree with your thoughts, but I have posted a question recently because I was interested in the variety of thoughts out there ! I had already made my position very clear and I was not seeking aproval or backing for my actions just purely interest and to share thoughts.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 July 2004 04:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Peter I agree on one proviso, which is, your comments are based on the tenet that “the management of OHS is a static process that does not change”. The standards point us to cyclic continuous improvement. The Institution points us to a demonstration of continued learning particularly as it relates to Registered Safety Practitioners and soon to be Chartered Members/Fellows. Universities have now seen fit to offer OHS tertiary courses and the Privy Council have made demands on the IOSH in order that they change to meet the their particularly demands. As a member of the IOSH, you and I and others will be required to maintain CPD. Your statement to a degree tends to fly in the face of the spirit of the change process. In my opinion OHS management is a state of constant change and in order to succeed must constantly be infused into the industrial and commercial workplace. The minute we sit back and say we are doing a good job, is the minute that we loose sight of the base function of safety cultural change. I don’t want this to sound like a criticism because this is not the intent. Perhaps a comment from a fellow consultant might provide food for thought. Richard MIOSH RSP
Admin  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2004 21:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Peter It is a fair and somewhat refreshing stance that you have taken, and as most of the responses indicate, many agree with you. However, and there was always going to be a but...I think that h&s practitoners should be concerned of 'socities' perceptions of our industy and our governing bodies. In my some would say limited experience of health and safety I would argue that the root cause of much of the discontent is promulagated by people who do not have a clear understanding of all the issues. Rather a wide and sweeping statement I know, but I did post a thread on a similar subject only last year - 'everyone is an expert in h&s'. Without going into details I was asked to attend a meeting at my golf club to give advice, if needed, on the safety aspects of the course. At this meeting all and sundry offered their advice such as, 'tell my last person to get killed on the 18th green' and I have been a member for 30 years and never seen anyone hurt by a golf ball etc. I think you get the picture. Since that meeting I have been accosted by several members and accused of sorts of 'namby pamby' meddling and on one occassion I was lectured by a member (an electrician) on the pros and cons of health and safety. As I stated earlier, the problem is not with our profession, but due to others offering their advice and others foolhardilly listening to it. Also, the media will never give our industry fair representation because it is not popular with readers - there is no news like bad news ! In summary I would say that health and safety cannot ignore public perceptions but at the same time we should not be too paranoid about it either. Regards Ray