Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2004 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson TechSP Some employees have suggested the purchase of a difibrillator for possible use within our work centre. This has raised the issue of would be expected to use one, would specific training be required, what would the corporate liability be if things went wrong. There is the question of, is the cost justifiable, then having said that there have been two incidents in the last four years when the answer would have been yes. Any comments, advice would be appreciated you may have one in your workplace. Regards Ian Stevenson
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2004 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday Ian, If you speak to St Johns Ambulance, they have reams of information on defibilators and will be happy to help.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2004 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By grace peffers Hi Ian, You can get automated de-fibrillators which are simple to use for cardiac arrest. The user is instructed by the machine when or indeed if a "shock" should be delivered, therefore no mistakes can occur. Organisations such as St. Andrew's (Scotland), Red Cross, or St.John's or indeed any Occupational Health Service should be able to train staff in it's use. I would suggest first aiders and/or key staff undergo training if they feel confident enough to carry out such a task. The cost of automated de-fibrillator is minimal in comparison to life.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day As another option , why not contact your local NHS trust or ambulance service ? Not sure if it's still running, but there was a scheme run by Essex Ambulance Trust where they 'loaned' a difibrillator and gave the required training for it - they were targetting shopping centres, industrial estates that sort of thing. The only downside was that if you were on an industrial estate, your employee would be expected to respond to heart attacks from other units. I believe that the insurance cover was done through the scheme.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By claire lewis Hi Ian, We've just purchased a defibrillator and are sending our first aiders on the course on how to use it. Its recommended that this training is carried out every 6 months. With a bit of luck our AED will sit on the wall gathering dust, but in the event of it ever having to be used we will prepared!! Claire.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2004 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton We have one gathering dust. Our first aiders have been trained but it is pretty easy stuff as it is automatic and will not shock unless shock is actually required (AED). Bought ours through Safety First Aid at about £3,000. Hilary
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 July 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley Hi there, You may want to read this first before going ahead - www.resus.org.uk/pages/legal I found this article very interesting as it oultines your legal status. Cheers Joe
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2004 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews We have several of these machines and all our first aiders (of which I am one) have been trained to use them. They are very simple to use (the hardest bit is opening the box) and anyone with a basic understanding of CPR would not have any problems. Recently an elderly lady had a heart attack on our premises, our first aiders were able to use the machine to restart her heart, she has gone on to make a full recovery, the doctor at the hospital said that if the machine had not been used as promptly the lady would probably be dead. Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2004 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston Defibs have been encouraged by the emergency services in many local authority settings for the last few years. You will find many public swimming pools, libraries and district council houses now have defibs available. Most Automatic Defibs are fail safe in that if the shock pads are incorrectly placed on the body an electric current will not be produced, also if the patient does not require fibrillation then a shock will not be emmitted. Training is still essential though and i would advise it being an add on to first aid duties. The Defib may bring them back to life but patient care is still required. As for liability, train the users at suitable intervals (The Health Service advised every 12 months but St Johns advised 6 monthly due to the limited use). To me there is no difference to delivering first aid - as per training or using a defibrillator - as per training. I am aware of a defib being used on three occasions over the last 4 years. We were informed that on each occasion if a defibrillator was not used the patient would have died before the emergency services arrived.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 July 2004 19:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Admin  
#11 Posted : 01 July 2004 20:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson TechSP Thanks to all for your advice and information I will pass this onto our safety committee for debate Regards Ian Stevenson
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2004 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Perrett Ian, I represent Staff Safety Solutions, we have now successfully placed nine Automated External Defibrillators, (A.E.D.s), into workplaces, providing A.E.D.s, training and Policy/Procedure frameworks. I would suggest the following considerations: A.E.D.s do fail to safe, in that they will not shock a heart rhythm compatible with life. However their use should not be regarded as safe; there are real dangers for the patient, bystanders and First Aiders if used incorrectly. The workplaces to which we have provided A.E.D.s utilise staff that we have trained to the First Aid at Work standard. These staff will not only have a better understanding of patient care, (as clearly these patients are seriously ill), they will also have covered their role in the reporting of accidents within their organisation and have knowledge of the post incident support available to them through their Occupational Health provision. In respect of A.E.D. Refresher Training, whilst some organisations who provide training state that that this should occur every six months, this should be a matter for your policy, having considered your assessment of risk and the cost/benefit considerations. By way of comparison, the Health and Safety Executive First Aid at Work qualification, including basic life support, currently requires refresher training every three years. Be aware that there are a range of devices available; they are not all the same. There are variations in the manner of operation and in the way they deliver the energy to the patient, do your research before you commit. That said, A.E.D.s are a massive and positive leap forward in First Aid provision; I would make two final points: Your nominated First Aiders should deserve the best training and equipment, if for no other reason than this will help them during any post incident stresses. Secondly, all the time your A.E.D. gathers dust on the shelf, it shouts volumes about your Company’s commitment to the Health and Welfare of your staff. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me Andrew Perrett