Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2004 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Al Beevers I work with engineers who access parts of the site via fixed ladders with hoops. Currently they are provided with tool bags of a sports bag style, with two handles, and they are in the habit of scaling these ladders with the tool bag in one hand. They only carry hand tools and small parts in the bags, never more than 10kg. Obviously this doesn't allow them to keep three points of contact with a ladder, and I am keen to make using the ladders less hazardous, especially in winter when they can become icy and slippery. One idea has been to provide them with rucksack style tool bags, so they always have two hands and feet free for holding onto the ladders. My concern is that there may be a greater manual handling hazard loading the weight on their back. Has anyone used rucksacks like this? Or anyone done manual handling assessments? I don't want to be swapping the hazard of falling from ladders for an equally serious hazard from using rucksacks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2004 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Interesting suggestion Al, You would of course have to prevent the employee trying to access the tools from the rucksack while on the ladder. Ray Mears suggests that a ruck sack must not protrude above shoulder height as it might get caught on branches. Same principle would apply in confined spaces such as hooped ladders I think. Deal with those issues & it may have potential.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2004 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof You'll need to explain a bit more Al. I can't see the connection/link between 10kg and putting the rucksack on.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2004 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan Hi Al We employ riggers / engineers who also access work areas by fixed / portable ladders depending on the site. We supply a tool bag, which is carried across the chest to carry hand tools. The guys can use both hands to climb the ladder; an advantage is that this way they can ensure that the bag does not snag as they climb. They prefer this to a tool belt or rucksack and as with most kit if the engineers like it they are more likely to use it. If they need any extra tools or equipment they hoist it up using pulleys and rope Hope this helps Dave
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2004 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof Yes, spot on Dave and I would have answered in the same vein, but got confused by the mention of manual handling. I'm still having some difficulty seeing that particular problem. Of course if the toolbag is located across the chest they can hook one arm around a rung and can access tools at the same time. Not desirable but can be useful.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2004 18:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Al, Materials should not be carried up any ladder in theory, but the most dangerous ladder to carry materials up is undoubtedly a vertical one, so you are on the right track to address this issue. The best way is to hoist the materials up by rope after you have ascended the ladder. We discourage maintenance personnel from carrying sharp tools in their pockets - I would have thought a fall from the ladder with a screwdriver from the toolbag giving you a stab wound should be avoided.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2004 01:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA I'll remember this thread next time we have to operationally carry a 65kg rucksack and weapon either up a ladder/vertical climb or abseil from a rope/aircraft.. Surely the emphasis is upon...as far as is reasonably practicable.. The risk assessment made by your self carrying 10kg of kit up a ladder and taking it off to secure by either a karabiner(SP?) or tether is surely enough to satisfy all the 'doubting Normans' that you may employ. How far do we wish to push the boundaries of common sense and H&S guidelines? As a serviceman who complies with the weight of both MOD & HSE.. the emphasis is upon the risk element... how many people have a problem with carrying a 10KG weight in a ruck sack up a ladder (with hoop) and subsequently using the contents? I suggest that if they cannot then they should not be working above knee height. The weighing up of cost/productivity/ will lead to you concluding in the using of this method. Regards PaulA (Mil Serviceman..)
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2004 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd The hoops of a catladder have diameter of 750mm (standard) Try measuring the distance between your back and the rungs. Then add the rucksack. You're not asking the guy to defend his country, you're asking him to do a job with minimal risk to himself and others. Tools falling down from a ladder present a risk to others.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA John. The initial question referred to the manual handling dilemma of a 10kg weight in a rucksack.... not the integrity of tools within whilst climbing the ladder! Regards PaulA
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2004 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd 10kg (22lbs)(in old money) is not heavy, unless you're carrying it up a ladder. If it is in a back-mounted rucksack then it will foul the ladder hoops. A safety risk. If front mounted, it will limit the movement of the hands/arms. A safety risk. In both cases the tools may fall down the ladder shaft. If we're getting into the king and country routine and the 60kg bags troops carry....I'll repeat what I said, we're not asking the guy to defend his country, he's doing a job from which he would LIKE to go home from afterwards.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2004 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof When did the engineers turn into a 'he' John. Do I detect some sexism in your response? You should know that nowadays it is equally likely to be a male or female, whatever the job. And all the better for it.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 05 July 2004 00:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Get a life Geof. I'm not only NOT sexist but I actually prefer the company of women. I find men confrontational to a degree verging on violence, such as yourself, who always looks for the back way of attacking anothers viewpoint. The ratio of men to women in engineering is not 1:1, nor anyhere near it. And as someone who not only MAKES catladders but also CLIMBS up them, I can say that all you scheme-dreamers, who have probably never climbed one in anger, get ignored by the guys who do the work. You know exactly where the rucksack can be put, and it's not on MY back.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 05 July 2004 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Someone earlier mentioned chest mounted carrying bags, and cited that the engineers liked them and were therefore more likely to use them. This truth is almost universal. Any solution imposed from outside without consultation is almost invariably doomed to failure. 10Kg is a very small amount of weight. Why not get one of these chest type bags and a normal back carried rucksack and get the engineers themselves to try them. Explain to them the problem (and that the status quo is not an option) and invite them to develop the solution. Talking of female engineers, a chest mounted bag may have an entirely different effect on their mobility for obvious reasons, so a different solution may need to be provided for them. In all cases, these bags can be sourced fitted with internal pockets, straps and loops to secure tools in such a way as to minimise the likelihood of injuries. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#14 Posted : 06 July 2004 19:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof I can't let that go completely John, despite you obviously being upset about the sexism comment, and despite the warning from the moderators. Ex member of RAF mountain rescue team. Ex CAA climber. Moderators: Positively my last word!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 06 July 2004 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Seriously, if anyone has a photo of the chest mounted bags in use, or a good photo showing how to pull things up the right way with a rope, I would like to see them as I have not seen these chest mounted bags in use, nor seen things hauled up by rope except with a gin wheel on a scaffold. Karen (health and safety professional and female engineer)
Admin  
#16 Posted : 07 July 2004 00:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd It's easy to check out the fit. A standard doorway is 30" (760mm) wide. Stand in the doorway with your rucksack on and check the fit, front and back. For your information, toolholders come in various themes, and even in waist fitment. Cat ladders come in various styles as well, some are round hoops, some are square hoops (with large radius corners), and I've even made them with hexagonal hoops when I wanted a change. The one thing they all have in common is that there is very little room inside the hoops, the reason for that is so that if you were to lose your grip there is little time to gain speed before you stop against the frame. And I'm not an engineer. The engineers tell me how they want things made, and I tell them why they can't be made their way. And I'll say this again Geof, the guys (and gals) are paid to work, NOT to injure themselves. What you do in your time is up to you, what you ask others to do is another thing entirely. And there are a lot of clever no-win-no-fee solicitors out there now in case you make an error.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 07 July 2004 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Longworth My my what a catfight