Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2004 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Our company is proactive in helping charitable organisations by enabling staff to spend a (paid) day assisting them with a variety of tasks. This is often semi domestic painting, gardening, stream clearance or even dry stone walling.Currently I provide risk assessments for each activity & occassion, but have been told it is the legal duty of the voluntary organisation to carry out suitable & sufficient risk assessments for the safety of people not in their employ, which covers the tasks our volunteers perform for them. In this situation whose main duty is it to complete the risk assessment, our or theirs?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2004 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I would suggest both to a degree. When we have contractors coming on site we usually require method statements etc in advance so that we can review them and contribute if necessary. I would suggest that you adopt a similar approach, take your risk assessments to the organisation and have them integrated into their safety plans. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2004 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Having spent a very long time researching this question (much of it with the HSE) on behalf of clients I can now say with a degree of certainty that the volunteers will be regarded as being part of their employers undertaking (as the work was arranged/organised by them) and so the employer is responsible for the risk assessments. It is unlikely that the employer will (on his own) be regarded as being competent to undertake the assessments and so the agency for whom the work is being undertaken will have to be involved. However, if something goes wrong and an employee is injured, the employer and the agency for whom the work is done may both be liable. Hope this helps. Regards. David
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2004 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Timothy Capner Dear Chris I e-mailed you directly with a response, and I aplogise for circumventing the forum. I couldn't log on at that time. After having read David's response I'm confused. I represent (as a volunteer) a National charity and it has always been my understanding that: If the charitable organisations have at least one paid employee anywhere in their organisation, they must be considered to be an 'employer' for the purposes of the HSW Act '74, and the regulations made under it. Section 3 applies to your staff 'released' by your company to 'work' for the charitable organisation. As such it is the charitable organisation that is legally responsible for risk assessing the work to be done. Mirroring other comments it would be 'good practise' and 'good neighbour' to work together to complete the risk assessments needed. Does "common duty of care" and s36 HSW Act'74 apply to you Chris? However, I'm sure the charitable organisations will benefit from your experience. Hope this helps, or have I confused the situation even further. Regards Tim Capner P.S.Are your staff on paid-leave when they work for the charity?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2004 19:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie They are your employees, being paid by you, and are therefore your responsibility surely? Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2004 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Thanks to Tim, Laurie, David & Alec for responses. However,at the moment our company carries out all the risk assessment work and I believe there is a dual responsibility in all this ref HSAWA S2 & 3 liabilities. Following responses & going forward I do believe that our company must insist on risk assessments from the charities involved and that as Laurie rightly puts it, it is our duty (as the employers) to see if they are suitable & sufficient & if not get them amended before our staff carry out any activities.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2004 07:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Chris My reasoning for you providing the assessments and having them integrate them into a their systems is that many of these voluntary organisations simply do not have the expertise necessary. This is particularly true of the smaller bodies, often local and reliant purely on volunteers with no paid staff. As charitable endeavours, we would all probably feel that their money is best spent providing the services for which they exist rather than paying the salary of a H&S manager, on the proviso that they can meet their legal obligations some other way. Supporting businesses such as yours have an opportunity to allow them to continue doing this by providing the risk assessment etc services for them and ensuring their legal obligations are met. The cases of large national organisations is of course somewhat different since, because of their sheer size, the administrative burden is large and best served by salaried employees, who would normally include someone with H&S knowledge and responsibility. While the legal position is that of shared responsibility, the "corporate social responsibility" ethic that leads your company to provide the staff time to assist this charitable organisation would perhaps be best served by continuing the status quo. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics