Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2004 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Hi all, Have any of you got a policy on safety glasses that I culd have a look at. We are about to implement the compulsary wearing of them in all our operations. There may be an overlap in the fabrication area as other safety eye wear is worn. Any suggestions would be welcome. Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2004 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie We have a policy covered by a risk assessment that states that all personnel entering our premises must wear eye protection. As a minimum all eye protction must conform to EN 166 grade B. For tasks that involve drilling or the possibility of impact or dust including waste particles we insist on grade A (goggles). Some personnel may wear their own spectacles but if they do not comply to EN 166 they must wear safety glasses on top. Hope this helps. regards Jim
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2004 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Cheers Jim, do you have a copy of the policy? Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2004 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking If any one else has an input to this issue it would be appreciated. Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2004 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Mc Nally My company operates a number of different manufacturing facilities throughout Europe and we have a mandatory requirement to wear safety glasses whenever you enter any workshop. This has been in place for a number of years and we have found it works fairly successfully. we don't have a written policy on this as such but it is taken as part of our overall HSE policy. We found it difficult to designate areas in the workshop where safety glasses could not be worn as workers tend to move around the workshop. It may be of interest to you that we have had very few eye injuries over this time and as such a number of employees were asking us to relax the rule, however recently one of our facilities tried to introduce an area where safety glasses did not need to be worn and almost right away we had an eye injury which would have been prevented had the employee been wearing safety glasses. Therefore we have reinforced the use of safety glasses in all areas with no exceptions. Hope this helps
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2004 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Thank you to every one that has responded to my posting. The policy has now been developed and about to be implemented across the board.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2004 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Paul, Safety glasses are mandatory in most of our work areas. However, there was one area which we decided to introduce the wearing of safety glasses in also. I found an excellent presentation on the internet which I customised to my own needs. I then gave the presentation to employees of that area about eye injuries and eye protection, which aided greatly in the implementation and answered all their queries, etc. Let me know if you want a copy of the presentation. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2004 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Karen Could I have a copy of the presentation? Many thanks Ian
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2004 18:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman At one of my plants we started with the 100% rule for safety glasses and safety shoes for all in workshop areas. Visitors were exempt from safety shoes if they stayed within marked (double yellow lines) "visitor" walkways. We did eventually define certain "exempt from safety glasses" areas - administrative work facing a wall or a window, three meters from any machine. These areas were marked by green lines on the floor. In the 10 years I was there we never had an eye injury (not even first aid) The only foot injury was a man who hit himself on the back of the ankle with a pedestrian operated electric palette truck. Bruising only, no lost time. I must admit that this person did have a peculiar walk - it looked as if his knees were glued together (but he played goalie (not gerlie, zoe) in the plant football team. All safety glasses were, if required, prescription. Some (2 pairs) of safety shoes had to be "made to measure" for employees with curiously shaped feet. Actually, one employee (the one with the shaved head, tattoos and earings) was delighted when the works doctor suggested that Doc Martens boots would be an acceptable substitute for safety shoes. They met the eu spec.