Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer regarding working conditions inside lorry cabs. A number of the company's vehicles have air-con/climate control fitted as standard. Others have only normal ventilation systems. The lorries are used in circumstances where the dust levels are high and as a consequence the windows must remain shut. In conditions during the summer months when sunshine levels are high(well normally anyway!!) drivers have been complaining of high temperatures, sweating and fatigue. As I see it , the cab is their workplace and as such conditions should be 'comfortable'. The company has refused to retro-fit a suitable air-con system to alleviate the conditions...any advice as to further action??
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2004 00:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello Pete, Do the windows have to stay closed for the whole of the working day? My husband is a lorry driver, but can open the windows. However, it still gets very warm in the cab (one day it was 34C). Lots of drivers have their own 24V fan that sits on the dash. Also, he got a 1000W inverter for about £150 and he runs a camping fridge (and other equipment) from it. The fridge is silent running and produces very little heat. So, it keeps drinks lovely and cold. It is a proper fridge, not one of those mini-cooler things. The stuff stays really cold and there is even a little ice cube tray that came with it that you can set on a cover over the element and make ice cubes. I think the fridge cost about £125 and if he had a 12V fag lighter in the lorry he could run it off that instead of the inverter. So, for £150-£300 you could supply your drivers with a fridge (inverter if needed) and a fan to help keep them cool and have cold drinks. Better than having them pass out behind the wheel of a 40T truck. Going forward, as the vehicles are replaced, you can look at purchasing ones with air con. Sorry I do not know anything about retro fitting of air con. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2004 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran Thanks for you input Karen....the drivers are in a situation where they are exposed to the dust for the best part of the day so have to keep the windows closed. It seems like the problem has now been resolved in any event...just look at the weather!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2004 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Pete, There was also an article in the most recent edition of the Indicator publication "Tips & Advice Health & Safety" about this. They mentioned that it is possible to fit a special foil type coating to the inside of the windows, so that it reflects sunlight. However, how this would affect visibility I don't know. Give me a shout if you want to know more about what the article said. Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2004 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran Thanks Maria...I had this mailed to me by a James Byatt...it was a useful article and have since been making enquiries about suppliers. Appreciate your help!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2004 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I would add a word or two of caution on the subject of window tinting because the legal sitution on this is very far from clear. The constructions and use regulations make various requirements for driver visibility. This has always been interpreted as making it OK to film-tint the side and rear windows, but not the windscreen. Recently however many reports have been made of people having their cars declared unroadworthy at the roadside because of film-tinted side windows at the front of the vehicle. It seems that it is one of those "in the judgement of the constable" moments, and while you may argue the toss and win in court, by the time that happens you've been a long time without your vehicle. In the above I am talking about film-tinted windows and windscreens, not those with a light tint put in the glass at manufacture. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics