Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2004 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By brian mills Morning guys! There are still a vast range of correction fluids available, and indeed some pen applications. Is there any problems of note with either mode of application or fluid used please? Regards Brian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2004 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Not in the quantities normally associated with them
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2004 10:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By brian mills was wondering if this relates to the onetime craze of sniffing things?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2004 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Fairly innocuous these days as tend to be water not solvent based. 'Follow the manufacturer's instructions usually suffices for COSHH requirements.I do recall a criminal case some years ago where a secretary took umbridge with her boss and poured some of the solvent type in his coffee and nearly poisoned him!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2004 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Deborah Clark I was pleased to see your query on correction fluid. Last year I had a member of staff suffer a chemical burn as a result of using the wedge shaped applicator on a bottle of correction fluid. She had used a 5p piece size of fluid on paper which dispensed an amount of fluid, far more that used to be achieved using the brush type applicator, she then reached across her desk and lent on it whilst it was still wet. The result (which I photographed) was a burn injury with redening and blistering of the skin. The end result of several commuications is that Biro Bic decided to "start an additional irritation review on our correction fluid". Our stores have been instructed to only purchase the waterbased product in future. To many people(including school children) this every day item is harmless - please be assured that it isn't necessarily so.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2004 07:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By brian mills Thanks guys, It seems the real problem with correction fluid stems from when it was supplied with thinners, apparenty a lady in an office put the thinners in some old boys coffee and almost poisioned the poor guy, so now it comes without the thinners! regards Brian
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2004 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I think the Montreal Protocol my have had a bigger influence on the thinners (and solvent based correction fluid) than the retribution for sexual harrassment via the contaminated coffee!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2004 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Harvey Further to Deborah's reply, has anyone come across skin irritation problems caused by whiteboard cleaner? Neil
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2004 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Neil, Try this thread: http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...m=1&thread=7911&page=361 (No my search facility is not miraculously working now... I had to do it long hand)