Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2004 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sinead Butler I have just got a new mincing machine which has an unguarded opening. The opening leads to the mincing worm and is big enough to allow a person to fit through it. The only point being that the opening is just over 5ft above ground level (the machine is filled by means of a hoist). Any advice about guarding this machine? Thanks, Sinead
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2004 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Some points to consider: Is the opening accessible or is it safe by position? Would access be required for unblocking or maintenance procedures? Is there a safe system of work / isolation procedures in place if access is required?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2004 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Christopher Wills As it is a new bit of machinery the safety risks should have been considered during its design and manufacture for its end use etc, therefore, I would go back to the manufacturer or look at what it says in there manuals. I believe this is required under CE marking as well, the risks should be covered in the manufacturers manuals!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2004 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart I agree with Chris that this "should" be the case, however in practice you will quite often find that it is not. You should refer to the manufacturers information but still risk assess it yourself. Ironing these things out at the purchase stage with your supplier saves a lot of hassle.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2004 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sinead Butler The manufacturers think that there is no need for a guard but I'm just thinking what if someone was stupid enough to get on top of the machine, reach into the opening and get dragged in while the worm is still turning. Where the machine will be positioned and the height of it will reduce the chance of this happening, but you can't forget about a person who might try to clear a blockage from this angle instead of the correct procedure of isolation etc..
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2004 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Kenning When you say new, do you mean brand new or a new bit of kit you have aquired. I agree with the rest if it is brand new then the manufacturers/designers have responsibilities under the CONDAM regulations. If however, it is just a new bit of kit to you and a few years old then you will have to carry out a full risk assessment including Production processes and maintenance/breakdown requirements. This seems to be a dangerous bit of machinery without a guard even at five foot high. a fixed guard is the best guard with interlock keys that isolate and exhaust the system of energy when opened. (Fail to safety not to Danger). A safe sytem of work will be required and permit to work, especially when removing a fixed guard. If as you say it is big enough to fit a body through it must also be reachable to the hands/arms of the average person. Dont forget warning signs. Hope this Has helped. Ian Kenning.