Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2004 20:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp A recent article in SHP (p10) gives me some concern. In what is described as the 'first succesful prosecution of its kind,' an architect was fined under the CDM Regs for so-called design work. He failed to ensure the health and safety of builders that contributed to them 'experiencing back pains' because in his plans workers had been asked to lift blocks weighing 36kg, and the permitted maximum is 20kg under CDM Regs. Before I pick holes with the offence, I would like to add that the architect was fined £500 and ordered to pay £1000 costs - not the full costs of £13,780 asked for by the HSE. Furthermore, the architect was ordered to undertake a HSE planning supervisor course, presumably he will have to pay for that as well. I am all for ensuring that those who have duties under the relevant stautory law are held accountable for their acts and omissions, but this case seems disproportionate to the actual offence. And I do wonder whether the HSE have picked a 'soft target' to highlight their crack down on construction and designers duties (see p4 SHP). Incidentally, there is no mention of the building contractors be held to account, so presumably they did not get prosecuted. Surely they were partly, if not equally at fault? I would be interested in what other practitioner's might think about this case and the repercussions, negative and positive that might result. Regards Ray
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2004 23:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel See my response to the nearby thread re H&S Consultants being prosecuted. Here again the Architect pleaded guilty and was summarily sentenced in a Magistrate's Court. Such courts are regarded in legal circles as not being authorititive and clearly no discussion took place about whether the guy was in fact guilty. It was clearly less trouble to plead guilty than to fight a lengthy court case. You cannot legitimately draw any conclusions from such a low-grade case. One might however note that in reducing the fine as reported the magistrates concerned clearly felt the level of guilt was relatively low. As you point out there are a number of issues which might have been challenged, if the report is accurate - for example there is no "maximum weight" in the CDM Regulations nor anywhere else in law. The HSE were pressed to put maximum weights into the Manual Handling Operations Regs 1992 by the TUC but refused to do so. The comments apparently made by the HSE inspector (if accurately reported) should have been challenged - indeed there is greater guilt in failing to object to this than in the case itself in my view! The fact that such a low-grade case has been reported is significant in respect of your suspicions of HSE attempts to highlight this case. Since in my experience HSE inspectors seem increasingly happy to walk past machines with all the guards hanging off I fail to see why a designer who failed to specify the size of breeze block to be used should be subject to so much vilification. Dave
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2004 08:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JAMES MM Ray The question I immediately asked myself is where was the supervisor who allowed this man to handle the blocks? Who has responsibilities for health and safety? We all do. Why did he manual handle blocks so heavy? Where was the manual handling risk assessment and was there no induction to pre warn this man about manual handling? I feel that there was a lot of management who could have stopped this happening if they were doing their job and had basic health and safety knowledge. What we have is a prosecution that shows the failure of everyone in the chain.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2004 08:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I think it is fairly obvious we are looking at the HSE's attempts at publicity and pushing home the messages that they wish to send the whole construction industry. The HSE must have been fairly sure of their case to proceed with the initial prosecution, so I would suggest that it has more to it than just the weight of the blocks, perhaps a failure to consider the health & safety implications of the design. The CDM regs place a clear duty on the designer which we probably all agree is a good thing, so maybe we shouldn't be too quick to pick holes the first time someone is prosecuted, unless of course we feel that the designers should not be burdened by such considerations. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2004 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Dave and James - could not agree more with all your points. Alec - it is possible that there is more to this particular case than was actually reported. That said, you can only base a judgement on the known facts. Anyway, surely the HSE could have found a better and more serious design offence in order to 'set an example.' What about all those persons that have been killed due to poor design. Ray
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2004 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis In spite of the reported comments from the inspector I personally see the need for this type of prosecution. It is all too easy for designs to be produced which, whilst not actually specifying heavy blocks, actually obviate any other potential choice. Some designers find it all too easy to pass on the responsibility to the contractor to worry about "trifling details in the legislation". I do wonder why the PS was not gathered into this net however as this role is meant to be identifying such issues within the overall co-ordination of design issues Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 July 2004 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Fully agree Raymond, there probably are many more serious breaches. We can speculate at the reasons for the prosecution, and those for not prosecuting in other instances, but if there was a clear breach then there is a case for prosecution. Speaking personally I hope this prosecution is not the last and that it raises awareness in design circles and leads to the responsibilities enshrined in CDM to be taken seriously by all designers, in turn leading to an overall improvement in the safety of construction workers - I guess we would all have that hope. Alec Wood Samsing Electronics
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 July 2004 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp However, contractors may adopt an attitude that it is not their problem because the design was flawed in the first place. Leaving the onus soley with the designer. As Robert and others have pointed out - hazards and risks should be identified by all those concerned, including the planning supervisor. Not just the designer as in this particular case.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 July 2004 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran Robert..as I understand it the PS can only seek to influence designers in the process with the final responsibility being left to others. I for one am glad to see a prosecution of this type....far too often as a contractor we are asked to do things by a principal contractor that we should not be asked to do simply because those with financial interests at stake further up the CDM line conveniently brush their responsibilities aside. It is then left to us at the bottom of the chain to then engineer controls so that the work can be done safely, quite often at a cost to ourselves where items like blocks need re-specifying.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 July 2004 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum R Cameron I must say that a few more prosecutions involving designers and planning supervisors would be a good thing. In my experience-a lot of designers and PS's do not take any account of CDM94 in relation to designing out forseeable risks. Come on HSE-lets see a few more in the dock......then maybe it would improve things.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 12 July 2004 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ken mosley The HSE recently stated that 70% of accidents in the construction industry have their root cause in the design. With this in mind it is difficult to reconcile that the majority of prosecutions are brought against contractors, usually on the basis of the immediate cause of the accident. This recent prosecution, which I feel will be the first of many, has arisen from the HSEs current initiative on designers. As you probably know last year Nick Rigby and a team of inspectors from the northwest carried out research that identified only a third of designers had sufficient knowledge of CDM to carry out their duties and only 8% had received any training in CDM. There were also other not very complimentary findings of the design fraternity. The incorporation of health and safety into the design process is a skill in short supply. In the 10 years we have had CDM there appears to have been a reluctance by designers to embrace the principles of CDM. Consequently, design is an area which sadly I feel has not adequately improved. Prosecutions are one of the ways that the HSE uses to raise the profile of an issue to achieve improvement.In this particular case I feel they are wholly justified.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 12 July 2004 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I think the last two responses have missed the point - nobody is advocating that designers should not be accountable or prosecuted if need be. The point is in the case illustrated is it fair. Afterall, I thought the CDM regs was supposed to ensure that all those with h&s repsonsibilities are accountable, particularly when things go wrong.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 12 July 2004 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Raymond According to one report mitigation pointed out that the designer DID not specify over-sized blocks. In effect he pleaded guilty to an offence by not making positive comment as to a need for the avoidance of the use of "grunters" weighing more than 25kg. Any competent contractor should know this. I think the case would have been much more interesting if the architect had pleaded not guilty, as my guess is that if the case was defended competently in front of a competent bench, HSE would have lost the case. Recent conviction rate in defended HSE prosecutions relatively low, about 60%. Overall conviction rate very high cos virtually everyone pleads guilty for a variety of reasons including the misplaced assumption that all HSE prosecutions must be competent. Regards, Peter.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 12 July 2004 21:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Peter, nice to hear from you again. You have mades some interesting observations which a previous response by Dave alluded to. One wonders who advised the designer to plead guilty, if in fact they did, legal action can be very costly and in this respect unfair to the 'small man'. Presuming that the designer was affiliated to an institution, then surely they could have taken on this case or at least met some of the legal costs on his behalf. Reading the repsonses thus far I am convinced the HSE have gone for 'cheap points' in order to highlight their recent campaign.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 July 2004 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ken mosley Mr.Vesma's solicitor claims he did not specify the weight of the blocks. This is not unusual. Mr. Vesma would have specified the size, compressive strength and thermal value of the blocks. This is normal practice by a designer drafting a specification. The PQS would then have taken off the the blockwork and itemised the bill of quantities. What the designer we assume failed to do was check in the suppliers catalogue the weight of the specified blocks and carry out a manual handling risk assessment. This process would have avoided the injuries incurred and the subsequent prosecution. Clause 127(b) of the CDM ACOP states that designers should quote 'specify materials that are easy to handle, eg. lighter weight building blocks'unquote. It cannot get much clearer. In 1994 the RIBA wrote to Philip Oppenheim, the then newly appointed D of E minister, as part of their lobbying stategy on CDM. Their letter stated that 'This august body does not feel it should be encumbered with what has traditionally been the role of contractors, that is to manage safety'. Sadly this archaic attitude still prevails and designers continue to fail on a daily basis to carry out risk assessments. Contractors when they challenge designers on these issues are usually answered with 'we employ competent contractors to sort that out'. Mr. Vesma was lucky his fine was so low. He was ordered under sect.42 of HSWA to undergo training to acquire the skills that the law requires him to have. As he will have to fund the training himself it is assumed this is why the bench levied such a low fine.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 13 July 2004 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ken mosley Mr.Vesma's solicitor claims he did not specify the weight of the blocks. This is not unusual. Mr. Vesma would have specified the size, compressive strength and thermal value of the blocks. This is normal practice by a designer drafting a specification. The PQS would then have taken off the the blockwork and itemised the bill of quantities. What the designer we assume failed to do was check in the suppliers catalogue the weight of the specified blocks and carry out a manual handling risk assessment. This process would have avoided the injuries incurred and the subsequent prosecution. Clause 127(b) of the CDM ACOP states that designers should quote 'specify materials that are easy to handle, eg. lighter weight building blocks'unquote. It cannot get much clearer. In 1994 the RIBA wrote to Philip Oppenheim, the then newly appointed D of E minister, as part of their lobbying stategy on CDM. Their letter stated that 'This august body does not feel it should be encumbered with what has traditionally been the role of contractors, that is to manage safety'. Sadly this archaic attitude still prevails and designers continue to fail on a daily basis to carry out risk assessments. Contractors when they challenge designers on these issues are usually answered with 'we employ competent contractors to sort that out'. Mr. Vesma was lucky his fine was so low. He was ordered under sect.42 of HSWA to undergo training to acquire the skills that the law requires him to have. As he will have to fund the training himself it is assumed this is why the bench levied such a low fine.