Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2004 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sugden I am considering implementing the STOP system in my workplace, any comments/information would be gratefully recieved. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2004 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Jim, haven't actually participated or implemented this system myself yet, but the offshore Oil & Gas sector has been using it for some time (and variations on the theme). There is a Step Change guidance document on Safety Observation Systems - link below, click on "Publications Index" and look for "Look This Way . . .": http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm Feedback I have had in conversation with people who have been involved is to avoid setting targets (good advice on any occasion, actually), as this detracts from the bahaviour you are seeking to encourage and only makes people fill out cards to meet the quota - in this case, quality is much more desirable than quantity. Also, the objective is not the card (and hence the nubmers are only indicitive) - the object is to promote safe behaviour and this is the action of challenging unsafe behaviour and the effectiveness of the resulting consultation that needs to be encouraged, so in a way the recording aspect is less important. However, it is obvious that the record is the most demonstrable method that this behaviour is taking place but make sure it isn't replacing normal reporting and informal activities. Also, it is vital that all participants are properly trained - not only in the function of recording and reporting, but also in the current policies & procedures and the sort of behaviour that you are seeking to encourage. A thorough understanding of the reason will support the uptake of the method - it is important to emphasise the "why" over the "what". Avoid over-reliance in the system - it supports, not replaces, existing communications and related functions such as meetings, audits, inspections etc.. Reporting back to the workforce should take this into account.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2004 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Jim, as an old Du Pont hand I know the STOP program very well. Please send me an e-mail for further comments