Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2004 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
We are trying to get the message across to our employees about the correct type of PPE to wear when handling caustic soda. There are certain processes we use where the elimination, substitution etc. do not apply and we must rely on PPE, admin controls and a good deal of sense.

Has anyone got any images (disturbing or otherwise) of any injuries relating to caustic soda that we could use as a "shock tactic" to some of our least co-operative employees.

I've tried a variety of sites on the web but with little success, any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Hi Mark,

There was an incident on the news a couple of years ago. I think it happened in Northern Ireland.

A bloke was going off to get married and his work mates were giving him a "doing". They threw what they thought was a container of water over him; it was caustic soda.

Actually, I have looked the archives of the Belfast Telegraph and found the following article. It talks about a different accident, but references the caustic soda accident at the bottom. I think the wedding was postponed but did go ahead eventually. The Belfast Telegraph or maybe UTV might be able to get you further details of the caustic soda accident in 1994 from their archives:

"Burns horror man 'scarred for life' fear
By Enda McClafferty
12 February 1999

THE young Strabane factory worker burned in an horrific accident may be scarred for life.

Johnny Gallagher (19) suffered 50% burns to his chest, arms and legs after he was doused in scalding liquid while working at Adria hosiery factory.

The boiling substance was released from an industrial washing machine when it exploded on Tuesday.

Mr Gallagher is being treated in the burns unit at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

His aunt Mary Carlin says he may be scarred for life.

'Johnny is still in a lot of pain and has burns all over his body. At this stage it looks like he will be left with scars,' she said.

'He was due to fly to Spain in the summer with his friends but all that will have to be put on hold now.' Mrs Carlin also told how her nephew could have been doused in acid and dye.

'We found out that an hour before the accident there was acid and dye in the machine,' she said.

'His face was saved because of his height _ he is over six foot and I dread to think of what would have happened if he was a bit smaller. He could have been killed.' A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Agency has confirmed that the machine has been closed down.

'The incident happened after a glass panel came off the front of an industrial washing machine in the factory,' she said.

'The company have closed down the machine and the manufacturers are now carrying out their own investigation.' Management at Adria have refused to comment on the incident.

Another Adria worker suffered severe burns in 1994 when he was doused in caustic soda just a week before he was due to be married.

The pre-wedding prank went horribly wrong when workmates mistook the substance for water."

It seems he didn't have much luck, as there is a further article:

"Burns man robbed at knifepoint
10 March 1999

THE Strabane man who suffered severe burns after a wedding prank went horribly wrong has been robbed at knifepoint, it emerged today.

Taxi driver David Friel was forced to hand over an undisclosed sum after a Stanley knife was held to his throat.

Mr Friel suffered extensive burns to his face and body, after he was doused in caustic soda a week before he was due to get married in July 1994.

Workmates at the Adria factory in Strabane unwittingly poured the substance over his face and body after tying him to a pole.

Mr Friel spent six weeks in hospital and it was a year later before he could get married.

He now works as a taxi driver and it was while he was at work that the frightening attack happened yesterday, near Donemana.

The robber, who is believed to be in his 30s, flagged down Mr Friel at John Wesley Street, in Strabane, at around 3.50am.

He then asked to be taken to Donemana. However, before reaching the village he indicated to Mr Friel to turn onto the Longland Road.

A short time later he was told to stop the vehicle and after producing a knife the robber ordered Mr Friel to hand over his takings.

He then escaped on foot across waste ground in the direction of Donemana.

Police today issued a description of the man and appealed for information about the incident.

He had short brown hair, of slim build and spoke with a local accent and was wearing blue jeans, brown and grey sweater and a pair of trainers.

Mr Friel was back at work today."

You can get them for yourself if you go to http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk and do a search for "caustic soda" (and pay for access to the stories in the archives).

There is another article in the briefs for 26 September 2000:

"£90,000 payout for accident A CHEESE packer who suffered chemical burns in an accident at work has been awarded £90,000 compensation in the High Court. George Hunter (37), from Brownhill Meadows, Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh, was washing out a vat with caustic soda and water when the solution exploded, burning his face, head and arms.

Mr Hunter's action against his employers, West Ulster Farmers Ltd, of Dromore Road, Irvinestown, was settled out of court yesterday."

Hope this helps,

Karen

Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum R Cameron
Mark, I have emailed you direct with the pix.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Mark,

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear -I think I also recall footage of the eventual wedding being shown on tv, so as I say, it may be possible for you to get a copy of the footage from UTV.

Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2004 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David A Lake
Mark,

Try the video/DVD made by Out-Takes which is based on the story of Ken Woodward who was blinded in a chemical accident at work. It includes interviews with Ken, his wife, his manager and his workmates.

I've used it myself on numerous occasions and the feedback has always been positive.

Cheers
David