Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie
Just spotted this one:

Parents have been banned from giving their children goggles for swimming lessons.

Hertfordshire County Council is afraid the goggles could spring back, hitting children in the face. It says they can be worn only "in exceptional circumstances".
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2004 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Longworth
Just the sort of knee jerk response that gives health and safety a bad name.
What about the effect of chlorine on the children's eyes?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2004 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Hi,

I agree, this is mad. Goggles are worn so people can see where they are going when swimming, I have swam without goggles on and apart from the irritation, I nearly collided with other swimmers (I was doing my best to aviod them, but cloudy outlines under water make distance perception difficult),I think I may be more at risk from serious injury than goggles springing back.

On another note, parents are responsible for their children wearing goggeles not, not the pool. They are not providing the equipment, the parents are. What will it be next, no swimming with your face in the water in case you don't see what is coming to you.

By the way where did you spot this item?

Cheers

Joe

Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2004 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Maguire
Same at my kids school, although the reason given was that if they fall in a river or canal, they wouldn't have their goggles on and may panic when water gets in their eyes.
I argued that they don't normally walk around in swimming trunks so perhaps swimming lessons should be conducted in school uniform or jeans and t shirt so that they don't panic when they fall in and find out how heavy their clother are!
Can't wait untill Jeremy Clarkson gets hold of this little gem.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2004 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Actually, does anyone have jeremy clarkson's e-mail ? I feel like provoking some comments here. Maybe we can build a recognition of the difference between a "jobsworth" and a professional
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2004 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie
It was on the Evening Standard website:

http://www.thisislondon....ource=Evening%20Standard
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 July 2004 17:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jennifer Kelly
Having read a number of postings about stupid safety requirements there often seems to be a common thread to the stories, local authorities.

Why is it local authorities seem unable to assess risk properly and as a result make H&S and H&S professionals a laughing stock for the media?

Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 July 2004 17:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven
Don't suppose anyone has bothered to ask Hertfordshire County Council about this one before declaring it to be "stupid"? If the last posting was intended to be provocative and debate-inspiring, it wasn't - it was pathetic and insulting to the vast majority of us in local authorities who can risk assess perfectly well!!

Mike
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 July 2004 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA
Mike..
You may well have talked yourself into a job on this one..You must have a direct dial tel no to other authorities.. give them a bell and dismiss or confirm it.... then fellow readers can decide who the fools realy are!!! dare you!!!!
Regards PaulA
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 July 2004 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
I think it would be a good idea to remove the water from the pool so that the children could see clearly when swimming, this would remove the need for goggles and eliminate the chances of drowning.

It would also get rid of the need for showering, wet towels, lockers that aren't secure, foot baths, slips, chemical treatment etc. Shame about the Olympics though.

Duh!

Mark
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 July 2004 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
There was a comment that the supposed reason for this controversial decision was a failure to assess risk effectively - possibly the case, but one has to believe that LAs are employing people as safety advisors who have relevant qualifications and experience - after all, they are usually the largest employers in any region after the NHS so they must be used to recruitment!

I think this story demonstrates another example of the Bogeyman Principle - the irrational fear that they may, at some point in the future by person or persons unknown, be sued for an injury or worse due to something that they worry the court may rule as "reasonably foreseeable". As has been mentioned, there are two LAs with the same ban but for different reasons - this must therefore have originated somewhere and now they are all hurredly covering their a***s "just in case".

The problem is the continued media assertion that we are developing a compensation culture similar to the Americans - an assertion that is not true, but it is good to keep up the level of fear so they can sell more papers etc.. After persistent reinforcement by the drip-drip effect, we all develop a generalised fear of being sued, despite the fact it is uncommon, and it affects our decision making accordingly.

Such over-reactions to incidents are not limited just to public services - commercial organisations suffer from it as well. The consequence? It ruins the 'fun' element of many activities and reinforces the image of H&S being interfering fuddy-duddies out to eliminate all risk by banning everything, subtly reinforcing the fear of the compensation culture when that is used as the excuse for such action! A vicious self-perpetuating circle.

Let us not forget the story from Edinburgh of banning parents (or generally adults) from taking photographs at childrens events such as nativity plays - this had also been instigated in reaction to the Bogeyman Principle that society is riddled with faceless but highly dangerous paedophiles. It was widely reported at the time and the balance of opinion seemed to favour it (although some believed it a ludicorus over-reaction). Recently, the ban was dropped - but how many of you noticed that? You had to be sharp to catch it - reporting was a few seconds in a couple of radio news reports and then heard no more and I doubt it was even mentioned in the newspapers. Result - we probably still believe that the ban is in place. Why? The ban was "news" as it grabbed attention and was ripe for analysis - the rescinding of it was not really interesting and relegated to a mere mention. And anyway - how many of us still trust what we read in the papers? We do if it supports our viewpoint, but if it doesn't, then it's all lies and misdirection! (Actually, the latter is generally true anyway).

I too would be interested in the reasoning behind this reported ban - I presume it is true since at least one member of the Forum has had direct experience of a similar ruling elsewhere, demonstrating how infectious fear of the Bogeyman can be.

So I'll wager it isn't due to an inability to assess risk effectively -

WATCH OUT! The Bogeyman is creeping up and he's going to get YOU . . .!!!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 July 2004 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
I think one of the things we are seeing here is a drive for the total elimination of all risk in some public sector circles, particularly education. There seems to be a general feeling that because the potential injured party would be a child, that any residual risk is unacceptable.

Causes for this are many and varied, the "Bogeyman Effect" so eloquently described above, the tendancy to launch a media witch hunt for a named individual to blame when anything goes wrong, the erosion of the concept of personal responsibility.

Fear of being the one to blame leads many people outside the authority's H&S department to invent stupid rules such as that which we see here. For them residual risk = reasonably forseeable accident, no matter how low that risk may be. I would be very surprised indeed if this ruling had come from anyone in the authority's H&S dept.

I am waiting for the next edict - perhaps all new schools will have to be built in the galleries of disused coalmines, just in case an aeroplane falls out the sky onto it.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#13 Posted : 13 July 2004 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
Darn...

I missed that one in my risk assessment!

Hold on, but what about exposure to coal dust?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 13 July 2004 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Talking about strange assessments - For the past 30 years British Rail and later Railtrack allowed police the use of an old sidings/coalyard area in a remote village as a temporary carpark for an annual pilgramage event. Police controlled all activity with at least 6 officers on duty. This year Network Rail has made its mark by stating that there might be H&S risks in people parking on the firm level ground and so barred its use. There is no access to the trackside and the Transport Police in attendance were at a total loss in controlling upwards of 500 vehicles, including coaches parking in a country area.

Bob
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 July 2004 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
All,

If I was told that I could not wear my goggles I'm afraid I would take my custom elsewhere. However, I realise not everyone is in a position to do this. There is more risk of my highlights turning green than the goggle springing back and hitting me in the face.

I do think things are getting a bit ridiculous. Last year I was in a hotel in Co. Antrim, taking a H&S course, when I looked at the evening menu for the restaurant which was on display in reception. I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like, "Fahitas will no longer be served on a sizzling iron griddle, for reasons of health and safety".

I am imagining someone slightly seared their finger/hand/wrist, possibly tried to sue, and the hotel has put this 'control measure' in place.

Boo! I want to swim with my goggles on and have my fahitas on a sizzling hot plate!

Karen
Admin  
#16 Posted : 13 July 2004 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
"For reasons of health & safety, chickens carved at the table can no longer be carved at the table but will now be carved in view of the customer."

Chatting with my father recently we reminisced about my childhood, as one does, and he lamented the old family Sunday lunch, something we had phased out by the time I was about ten, where he would always carve a chicken or fresh joint at the table. So when he visited recently I took him to a local restaurant for Sunday lunch which did just that. I thought it would amuse him, the notice quoted above, displayed prominently on the entrance door, and on the menus, certainly did. After that it was like dining with Jeremy Clarkson! By the end of the meal, sensing anyone overhearing the conversation was now blaming me for being denied the spectacle of having their chicken dismembered in front of them, I had wound my neck so far into my shoulders I looked like a startled tortoise! I tried all the well versed explanations we all exchange on here about nutters over-reacting but it did no good. "All you safety bods should be taking the place of that chicken" - the restaurant's other diners wholeheartedly agreed.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#17 Posted : 13 July 2004 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Having reread the message and the article, it would appear that it only refers to swimming lessons, not general swimming, and from this I am assuming it refers to the swimming teacher assisting children with putting goggles on, or repositioning them. I myself take swimming lessons and have been aware that when assisting with putting goggles on, there is a risk of them 'pinging' back. Does this mean when assisting with goggles, if they 'ping' back the teacher would be liable for any injury sustained? If they are liable, then this would explain the ban.

Joe
Admin  
#18 Posted : 13 July 2004 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Joe,

It's not really a valid reason though, is it? How much physical damage could this actually cause - or is it mental anguish we are concerned about?

OK, so the goggles are, by definition, situated close to the eyes. But where are the statistics that show the number of children blinded or visually impaired as a result of gross negligence in putting on a pair of elasticated goggles?

If this were seriously the concern, then surely adequate and appropriate training on the correct donning and wearing of the googles would become an integral part of the very first swimming lesson. Banning it is the simple but ultimately most damaging response to the problem, but the easiest option for the lazy and terminally feart.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 13 July 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie
I have been contacted by a member of Hertfordshire Councils H&S team who told me that they are acting on the advice of BAALPE and that not wearing goggles is considered Best Practice.

BAALPE is the British Association of Advisors and Lecturers in Physical Education. Anyone heard of them?
Admin  
#20 Posted : 13 July 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
By the power of the internet I bring you . . .:

http://www.baalpe.org/advice_faqs.htm

I notice there is nothing about swimming, mainly about gymnastics (where you can get really hurt if it goes wrong!).

Admin  
#21 Posted : 13 July 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven
I have. Lots of information about this professional organisation and what it does can even be found by typing "baalpe" and clicking on search.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 13 July 2004 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Christopher Wills
The Daily mail also ran this story with the addition of the following additional comments on use of swimming pools in the county, 'Parents have warned that further h & s requirements are also threatening the tradition of opening the pool in the summer holidays for children to swim with their mums and dads' . . . one said 'the council says the pool has to have a lifeguard at all times even though it is only a shallow pool' . . .'there has never been an accident at this pool because parents take care of their own children'

Unfortunately reported today in the same paper, although the circumstances are not entirely clear (see the article), a young boy of 11 tragically drowned during a school swimming lesson, with lifeguards on site. As todays report shows, accidents do happen, just because in the past an accident has not happened does not mean that it will never happen!

With regards to the damage that can be done to the eye from the goggles, during my recent travels, a girl that was part of our group nearly lost the sight in one of her eyes after being hit in the face by a football, she is gradually recovering and regaing her sight now but it is not guaranteed! No-one would have even expected that!
Admin  
#23 Posted : 13 July 2004 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
Chris,

It's not clear from your message, was the girl wearing swimming goggles when she was hit in the face with a football?

Or...

Is your point that the most innocuous things (in the first instance goggles but in this case a football) can cause injuries?

Either way I'm sure all forum members will wish her a speedy recovery.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 13 July 2004 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Sean,

I wouldn't have thought it to be a valid reason either. Usually advice relating to swimming pools etc comes from the ISRM - Institute Of Sport and Recreation Management - I have heard of BAALPE but have found they tend to focus on dry sports and PE.

It would be interesting to see if there are any statistics realting to this kind of accident. I work for a company which manages nine leisure facilities including several swimming pools. I have collated accident reports for over the last three years since starting in my current role and not one has included this kind of accident. In fact I have been in this industry for over 20 years now and in the dark, distant past I worked as a lifeguard for about 12 years, again I never had to deal with any accident relating to goggles injuring people. But then have some not been reported as the person dealing with them may have thought it was too daft?

Next they will be banning armbands because if they are overinflated they may hinder circulation....by the way recently some pools have been banning backstroke for fear they will collide with the side of the pool. Next up will be front crawl because you may be swimming too fast....

Joe

Admin  
#25 Posted : 13 July 2004 21:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
What a dreadful debate. You’ve seen a report in the papers. Well it must be right then!

• baalpe is an association for advisers, lecturers, inspectors, consultants, advisory teachers and other professionals with qualifications in physical education, sport and dance. PE includes swimming. It does include information in it’s publications about swimming organised by schools either in there own pools or in pools used by schools for lessons.

• Is it not possible the advice given by this organisation is not because of ‘health and safety’ but for, say, efficient teaching (with very young pupils it takes teaching time to help them put such things on properly)

• Whilst some pupils may need goggles because they are sensitive the vast majority of us do not NEED them, and when teaching a class of primary age kids I don’t really think there is a problem with them all bumping into each other underwater because they can’t see where they are going!

• Nobody seems to have bothered to check what baalpe actually say before commenting & opining about what they advise on. I think (& here I’m falling into the same trap because I haven’t checked!) their advice is more on the lines of discouraging their use except for pupils with sensitive eyes.

• I suspect the school has made this rule (for reasons of convenience) and when challenged came up with the usual reason ‘health and safety’. This is often why some of these daft rulings come to pass.

• Changing schools because they won’t let your kids wear goggles for swimming seems like taking choice to the limits Karen!

• If a school opened its pool to all and sundry during the summer vacation would your advice be you don’t need to bother with lifeguards? You could always cite the Daily Mail as the source of your competent advice. I don’t think the HSE would agree, though.

• Unless supported by facts I really don’t think we should slag off colleagues in the public sector because of a story in the press.

Admin  
#26 Posted : 13 July 2004 23:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Brian,

I meant me personally - if someone tried to stop me personally wearing my goggles I would go to another pool. Other rules I can understand and would comply with, such as long haired swimmers having to wear bathing caps, to stop all those long hairs wreaking havoc with the innards of the pool, hygiene, etc.

I understand that it is the council rather than the school that has introduced the ban, therefore many schools may be affected.

I vaguely remember when I was learning to swim at school, some people wore goggles, some didn't. It was left to personal choice.

However, goggles for kiddies seem to be the norm now - just look at http://www.allensswimwea...eedo_goggles_page3.shtml

All the kiddies goggles you could ever possibly need!

Karen
Admin  
#27 Posted : 14 July 2004 07:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
You make some valid points, Brian. It is essential, though, that whenever h&s is spuriously cited as a reason for a particular action, that professional h&s advisers do not collude with it just to provide 'support'. All to often h&s is cited to justify a managers decision. If the decision was for some other (valid) reason the manager should justify it on that basis not fall back on 'health and safety'.
Admin  
#28 Posted : 14 July 2004 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer
How does the Monty Python tune go again, oh yes now I remember? Try humming this with a diving mask/swimming goggles, and it all makes perfect sense.

Better still if you do it in a empty swimming pool, with confined space entry certificate, sitting on a prescribed chair, bolted of course to the bottom of the pool, with sunscreen applied in case the sun comes out or the pool lights are to bright, and for good measure, have emergency services on standby, just in case.

For the rest of us ‘yawn’ ho hum – back to work.

Richard
Admin  
#29 Posted : 14 July 2004 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
If we're getting into the realms of the totally ridiculous, which obviously we are - has anyone done a risk assessment on the likelihood of someone doing backstroke poking their finger in the eye of someone coming the other way doing, say, breaststroke. Surely this is a possibility and perhaps the use of goggles would prevent an otherwise nasty injury.

I have heard some things but this really does take the biscuit (that would be a wet soggy biscuit having been dunked in tepid tea to ensure you don't scratch your mouth when eating it and don't burn your fingers either!).

Hilary
Admin  
#30 Posted : 14 July 2004 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Victor Meldrew
Know what you mean Hilary.

My son (school sports teacher) has recently contacted me, he says that this risk assessment process is 'doing his head in' and is 'gash' and 'pants'... thank goodness he doesn't teach english. Anyway, he continued that he's having to put in controls in case Johhny or Jill gets hit by a ball etc and yet no one is concerned with the nearby 'debris' from the previous nights 'drug meets'.

As usual risk assessment fails due to individuals getting bogged down in trivia.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 14 July 2004 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
I notice SHP included my two penn'orth on the Clarkson debate, and now I wish I'd said something about this. I don't think it's safety practitioners that give our profession such a bad name. The problem seems to me that we have to react to the litigious society we live in. People who run swimming pools have to manage their own liability. Trouble is, we look stupid just because we are reacting to the people who screw money out of local councils. The law really is an ass at the moment and it must be time to legislate to change the common law (like they did with the Occupiers Liability Act).
Admin  
#32 Posted : 16 July 2004 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J Hambrook
Hertfordshire County Council has not banned goggles from any school swimming pools.

A school in St Albans requested advice about children wearing goggles in swimming pools and the county council passed on the best practice guidance from BAALPE - British Association of Advisers and Lecturers in Physical Education:

Their advice (18.11.2)is that:"Goggles or masks should only be allowed exceptionally, when eyes may be adversely affected by chemicals in the water. When used, these items should be made of unbreakable plastic or rubber materials...."

The head teacher followed that advice but parents who want their children to wear goggles can write a note to the head.

I hope this now ends the conversation.
Admin  
#33 Posted : 16 July 2004 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J
Glad that's nipped in the bud.
But it's things like the original posting and the following sheeps' comments along with the obligatory "expert" advice that makes the forum as interesting as it is.
Admin  
#34 Posted : 16 July 2004 19:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA
BAAAAAAH!!! BAAAAH! Great reading though...my wife and I put the children to bed in the evenings, then she watches the soaps whilst I read the forums!!! I know which one I prefer for amusement value!!!
Keep them coming..
Regards PaulA
Admin  
#35 Posted : 19 July 2004 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J Hambrook
On a personal note I would like to say that whilst some of the comments made were amusing I was disappointed to see that some colleagues were quick to condemn with quite scathing comments.
It is a sad indictment that so many were quick to believe the press instead of having faith in fellow 'professionals'!