Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2004 08:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony O'Keefe The dilema I have is that one of our company's premises has a security fence which is topped with razor wire, and has adequate signage to warn of its presence. There have been occasions when contact has been made with the wire on the inside of the compound, luckily no serious injuries have occurred. the local council will not let us have a higher fence, and without the fence the company has suffered break-ins, attempted assault and vagrants sleeping in company vehicles. Is there a minimum height that razor wire must be? CCTV is an option but this is a reactive measure and has not proven to be as effective in the past. Many Thanks for you time and help Tony O'Keefe
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2004 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood You have a duty to ensure that people are not harmed by such an installation, and I would suggest that you are not discharging that duty if you have already had injuries. You may wish to lobby the council again with regard to fence height, or consider using a two dimensional razor coil such as those found here which do not overhang the fence to the same degree. http://www.shmesh.com/html/razorsecur.html I don't know of a set minimum height but too high to touch unintentionally would be my standard - about 3m. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2004 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze From experience, the problem is probably one of planning permission - i.e. any boundary over 2 metres high requires it. I suggest you contact the council direct to see if this is the case, they won't bite (our local council was positively helpful). Present your case, show them your risk assessments for both no fence & the current situation. Consider alternatives to razor wire (e.g. anti climb paint across the top of fence may be just as effective & cost you less if you're sued). Ultimately you may have to bite the bullet & submit a planning application.