Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2004 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I notice from the HSENI site the following story which may of interest http://www.hseni.gov.uk/...s_details.cfm?news_id=79 Also, apparently, a new ISO standard for H&S management along the lines of OHSAS18001 is due quite soon, to be rapidly followed by some kind of "combined management" standard also encompassing the principles of the 9000 and 14000 series'. ISO9000 and ISO14000 have been very popular in this country and in the EU. Do we really want a USA system introduced into the EU with what seems like a government tie-in attached? VPP has only attracted 1000 participants in the whole of the USA, compare with the tens of thousands who have adopted OHSAS18001 even though it is not an officialy recognised international standard. One wonders why governmental institutions on this side of the pond are so keen to tie in with it. apart from the recent politics of course. The US governmental institution has a reputation of "profit before all" in a way that makes even our poorest performing employers seem like paragons of virtue. While I have no worries about yet another standard to massacre yet more trees for the inevitable paperwork that goes with it, I do worry that an organisation may introduce a safety committee, write a policy, supress the reporting of accidents and be rewarded after only one year with a gold star and exemption from inspection ever - but only if they choose to join this one scheme, VPP. Those who already have very good safety management systems in place, and are subject to regular real external audits to ensure they are up to scratch do not gain this benefit. I believe that the ISO standards principle has served us well in the areas of quality and environmental management and that that is the direction we should continue. Annual audit ensures standards are maintained. It is for government to set and enforce the law; more enforcement is required, not less. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2004 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Alex, I think you're mixing a couple of principles up here. I have a little experience of VPP, and took the opportunity to talk to the Head of OSHA while in the US during April about it. It's an extension of the ill-starred initiative run by our HSE a good few years back, offering a truce on inspections in exchange for a 'good H&S record". That one fell apart following some well-publicised fatalities. However, the reason why only 1000 companies have taken up the VPP is that many more have failed to meet the criteria for it. The standards required are also quite high for the USA. And companies do actually get slung out of the programme when they screw up, which is a really good thing. It has to be actively monitored, of course. One well-known internation construction company with which was once associated has found itself pushed off the list, for example. I agree with your comment on multiple Standards, and also hope that ISO will finally ditch the politics and infighting and recognise the 18000 series for what it is. Allan