Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2004 19:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Kenning
Hi.

What is the current regulation on Supervisors who are in charge of Production. Is it a requirement that they should be able to operate the machinery themselves before they can actually supervise. I know that competency to carry out certain tasks is paramount but to know how to operate machines must surely be a requirement. What do you think.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2004 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sam Talbot
Hi Ian,

I'm afraid that I don't agree. Whilst knowledge of the working procedures is necessary, I don't feel that knowing how to operate a particular piece of plant is relevant.

Our production supervisors are responsible for drivers of a loading shovel, a bulk tanker, forklifts and skid-steer loaders, do you consider the supervisors should be trained to operate all of them - they are aware of the Safe Systems of Work that are in place, surely that's sufficient?

Sam.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2004 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Longworth
I must concur with Sam's view. The supervisor in question may have to manage employees who operate a whole host of different machinesbut that doesn't mean that he should be able to operate them all himself. His job is to manage his particular section.
As for conducting risk assessments in the area, his respsonsibility is to ensure that they are conducted by people who are competent to do so. This may entail having them conducted by a team of experienced employees, or gathering information on the risks from experienced employees or whatever it takes to ensure that the risks are adequately identified and assessed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2004 19:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Does a bus inspector need to know how to drive a bus?

I have to agree with the previous respondents.

Paul