Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2004 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By lorraine Mitchell
A trainee has forgotten to bring his safety boots while attending a FLT course with an outside provider on that providers site although all course akcnowledgements state that safty clothing (PPE) must be worn. If the trainee has an accident on the training providers site who is liable the training provider, or the trainees employer. Or should training be refused to be given. Is the training provder obliged to provide safety wear there is a problem with policing the return of these items especially boots.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Longworth
The training should not be given if the trainee doesn't have the correct PPE.
If the training provider wants to continue with the training then they should ensure that the safety shoes are provided
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2004 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
I agree with the first response. I do a lot of safety training and the invitations always spell out exactly what PPE is required. Still some people turn up without it. I then have to inform them that unless they can obtain the PPE before the practical session then they will be noted as not having completed the training. Usually they can find what is required during a break.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2004 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
We invariably refuse training

Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2004 07:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
The sign posted outside many building sites some years ago "No hat, no boots, no job". I haven't seen it for a while though.

When we issue PPE such as safety boots it is made clear that our attitude is very much in line with the sentiments of that old sign.

Send him home to get his boots, and let him clock in when he gets back. If he's allowed to continue without them then you are by implication saying it is a matter of personal choice to wear PPE or not.

Alec Wood
Samsing Electronics