Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2004 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Gildernew
I am the safety advisor for a NHS trust.
As part of an asbestos management system we carried out surveys and detected asbestos in some buildings.All staff in the trust are currently being made aware of the situation.

We are currently considering the best way to label the ACM that are left in place.I am aware of the current asbestos warning sign. However I am concerned about the reaction of patients or visitors when they see these warning signs displayed in an area they/or a relative are recieving treatment.
Some people will panic when they see the signs for asbestos despite reassurances from staff that they are not at risk.

Has anyone got any advice on how they have dealt with a similar situtation in a public building

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2004 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter
An idea I heard recently (& may actually be in place in a Scottish Local Authority?) was to reserve a particular decorative paint colour for all walls & surfaces identified as ACMs.
Maybe not foolproof, but will give a non-alarmist recognition system for the benefit of staff and contractors, and mighht reduce any tendency towards malicious damage?