Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2004 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sally Barlow
Can anyone please give me an overview of this Control os Asbestos Reg please?

Thanks
Sally
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2004 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt
Sally,

DOn't know much about asbestos, being a fire engineer, but the HSE website has a section on asbestos which gives details of their guidance document to the control of asbestos regs.

the web address is http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/index.htm

Hope this helps.

James
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2004 18:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair
Sally,

Regulation 10 is the general duty on an employer not to expose his employees (or any other person who is not his employee) to asbestos.

The duty is not a "strict liability" duty. Therefore, if an employer does expose his employees to asbestos it must be to the lowest level reasonably practicable and the exposure should be controlled by means other than PPE.

By s. 10(2)CAW, where the exposure of employees to asbestos is part of a manufacturing process or in the installation of a product (i.e. brake linings), the prevention of exposure must be achieved, where practicable, by substituting the substance for a safer one.

If substitution is not practicable, engineering controls such as design and use of appropriate work process, systems and engineering controls must be used and the exposure should be controlled at source.

Any PPE provided by the employer must be suitable for its purpose (i.e. reducing exposure to asbestos) and it must comply with the provisions of the PPE Regulations 1992 (as amended).

Hope this helps.

Regards.

David