Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2004 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony O'Keefe Is there anyone out there who can provide me with a solution to this problem? 1. I wish to prevent employees from walking across an area that has many large vehicles moving in the area, I would like to designate a walkway around the perimiter of the compound with a marked cross-over point to the entrance to the building. The problem is that during the night time the whole area is used to park the company vehicles, and in the morning employees use the outer perimiter to park their cars and if I designate the walk-way there will be a reduction in car parking spaces. We are not obliged to provide car parking spaces, but it has been known in the past for people to go home if they cannot find a space to park their vehicles. 2. At the same site there is a rather large vehicle workshop that has four work bays, as large as the building is it is not really big enough. there are no designated walkways in the building. Again I would like to mark walkways around the perimiter and between each workbay, the problem is that due to the workload and space constraints the walkways would have obstructions on them for the majority of the time. I welcome any advice or suggestions Many thanks Tony
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2004 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Tony, I have been there too - after a lot of in-house discussion as to what was best to do about site pedestrian safety we realised that every site was a bit diferent but that there were some common standards that could be applied and these are mainly contained in the HSE guidance for Workplace Transport. How to move ahead? Well that is always the hardest bit but firstly you need a will from the senior managers to change for something better. Then get a few on your team and call it a safety action team for site pedestrian safety or similar. Then let everyone know that you are working towards change in a coordinated way and that no one with ideas will be excluded from the discussion. The hard work then begins! Make sure you get proper site drawings made, showing all existing safety features and call a meeting of the concerned managers to discuss what will work best in terms of production as well as safe pedestrian movement. Try marking out some good routes that help people to be safe and at this stage, do not think about cost. Every employer should know that the provision of car park space is a key ay to let employees know you care and take it from there. We have just got to the stage where we ar about to agree that hazard warning lights must be turned on when vehicles enter the sites - sounds easy - but it isn't! Youn will eventually get on to discussing vehicle standards - horns, reversing lights and alarms, radar, banksmen, better PPE for site pedestrians, better site lighting, proper fences to protect pedestrians, pedestrian crossings, pavements etc. etc. as wll as good site rules that can be given to everyone visiting, as well as awareness training for all site employees and drivers. Making all this happen is time consuming and slow but gradually you will se a difference - firstly in technical change, then in attitude. Try and encourage employees to set up a 'pedestrian safety group' or a 'drivers group' to try and help identify the real risks and possible solutions. Gradually it will become part of the site manager's budget and employees will then be reporting near misses and failure of safety controls! We could not have made such progress without talking widely both to other companies and to the HSE - get your Sector Inspector on your side and invite him/her along to a site meeting - they are very helpful! Good luck - George