Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2004 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J
A prospective client of ours advised us that we must have a CCNSG passport to work on their site. We advised that we have the SafetyPass Alliance passport which is specific to our work and that CCNSG do not cover that particular "sector". They queried the validity of SafetyPass Alliance as they had never heard of the scheme and asked if the safety training syllabus was the same as CCNSG. We advised that, essentially it was a two day course with one day (the core day)being general UK H&S and the second day being safety related to our work discipline.
I am under the impression that all safety passport schemes are "approved", with the first day described as above, and to provide a level of safety training to all.
The prospective client still wouldn't wear it and asked for a direct comparison between Safetypass Alliance and CCNSG syllabus.
After providing such, I found out by "accident" that IOSH and SafetyPass are no longer working as an alliance after 22nd Sept 2004, (with no explanation why) but will still both be commited to providing passport training. This surely will confuse alot of industry if it's construed that if one body won't work with another then this passport will be better than theirs etc etc.
CCNSG, SafetyPass, IOSH, CSCS, FAS, etc etc.
The basics off the passport, surely, is that the holder has proof of attending a one day training on general H&S. The second day is a specific safety bolt on.
Isn't it about time that the UK had a unified passport scheme?

Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2004 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By C David Haynes
All relevant parties were advised by letter on 18 June 2004 about the cessation of the IOSH-SPA Passport Scheme.

These included
All IOSH-SPA Course Providers
All Client Group members
All IOSH only course providers
All SPA only course providers
All SPA only Client Group members
Potential IOSH-SPA Course Providers
HSE

The decision to cease trading together was a mutual agreement taken for business reasons.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2004 13:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J
Thanks, C. David for providing that part of information, but it still leaves companies like ours in an area of "greyness" when clients ask for information.
Is it all down to good business marketing on who gets the biggest share of the safety passport market?

Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2004 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By C David Haynes
I don't feel qualified to comment on your last question.

I can say that, to the best of my knowledge, a lot of work is being done behind the sceneswith HSE, IOSH and other interested parties to resolve the 'multiplicity of passports' situation.

regards

David
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2004 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J
Thankyou, I'll accept that much.