Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2004 14:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J. Any assistance on the following would be welcome. We are a Social Work Department. Staff wish to take some young people/clients 14-17 age range to go-carting. The track offers safety helmets, overalls and gloves, instruction on safe driving and operation of the vehicle. A marshal also oversees the track and will pull off anyone driving out with the guidelines/instructions they have been given i.e. dangerously. We are looking at completing a risk assessment. However, as almost all of the activity will be overseen by track staff, it seems we don’t have much control. I have recommended some areas that should be considered. Check council and providers insurance cover for our staff and young people re possible injury or damage to property. Use workers knowledge and experience of the young people to assess which if any should be excluded from the activity in terms of previous challenging or reckless behaviour. Assessment to clearly state exactly what the provider’s role will be in managing the carting. Permission slips etc. will be sent out to parents/guardians etc. Should I also look at first aid cover and provision of a first aid kit? Anything else I should cover Does anyone have a risk assessment for this activity? Is their an industry standard we can use? Am I worrying to much about this? Ta much for any assistance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2004 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie A recent thread started by Ian Bruce may have some useful information for you. I would suggest using search on "Ian Bruce" Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2004 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Your local Education Department will have a copy of the DfES good practice guide 'Health and Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits' (and supplements) (and an appointed educational visits or outdoor education adviser). The principles of this publication will be much the same for your proposed activity and any other future outings for young people.