Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2004 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Whaley The company I work for, as H&S Officer, are exploring the possibility of setting up an integrated management system that would include H&S. We are already registered for 9001 & 1401 and now loking at the possibility of including 1801. I would be interested in any feed back from anyone who been through the experience, has there been an improvement an can this quantified? Is there a financial case to be made? David
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2004 06:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ewing David, I have recently worked at a distribution site that used 18001 and was externally audited by BSI and NQA. I found that like all quaility systems they are only as good as the auditor and also again like most of these systems if the managemnt of the site doesnt fully buy into it then it will quickly become 'your' system and the only time the site management will pay attention to it is if an audit is due. However saying all this, if you have a commited management team and they are truely behind this then it can be a very good system. If you need any more assistance then let me know and i will give you the contact details for a very good auitor for this system who was also involved inthe writing of the standard. hope this helps John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2004 08:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood We acheived OHSAS18001 last year in response to customer demands that we do so. Because it was a customer thing we had no problem securing management's 100% backing. The timescale we were given to acheive this of only three months was very tight. Our auditor was BSI. I found the auditor very helpful during his initial visit. He picked up what was good, and what wasn't, and identified a few holes in our systems which had existed since day one. He gave us some good input into what was required for compliance in those areas where he had identified a weakness. The whole process was very similar to ISO9000 & 14000 series, and the defining of systems and their auditing requirements are very similar. All in all I think that the standard was well worth acheiving, it is a great shame that for one reason or another, it has not been adopted by ISO. I would gladly share any of our experiences or systems with you if you feel the need. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2004 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West The consultancy I work for have a fully integrated web based management system. The system can be set up as a health and safety, environment, asbestos, water and fire manangement system (each discipline can be used seperately or together depending upon your requirements). The system is made bespoke to each client and involves qualified and competent consultants (many of whom are ex-enforcement officers) making site visits and assessments who would then populate the system depending on; their findings during site visits, the clients requirements and any existing policies and procedures the client may already have that are suitable. With remote access to a centralised data source viewable in real time determining compliance is made simple and whats more the management system never forgets when weekly , monthly, quarterly and annual checks and isnspections are due and by whom. The system also stores all information to produce a complete due diligence trail to assist in the defence of any spurious claims. The system is tried and tested with over 4000 systems currently running over the web in the UK today with many blue chip companies among our clients together with many SME's. Additionally, the system can comply to ISO (and OHSAS) standards if required. The system particularly lends itself to clients with many properties throughout the UK where the status and details of each site can be seen from one location (even from home if you have access to the web!) For more information concerning the management system (or any other services we can provide)please feel free to contact me in the first instance using the email address above. Kevin West
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2004 21:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler Kevin, The system you describe sounds very interesting would it be possible for you to elaborate on this further?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2004 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Tyler, As much as I would want to elaborate, I am very much aware that this is not the forum. For more information concerning our fully integrated management systems (web based interactive or otherwise) or to find out more about our organisation and the services we have to offer, please contact me via email in the first instance: kevin_west@natbrit.com I cannot contact you ,Tyler, as your email address is not shown. Many Thanks, Kevin