Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2004 06:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Wallington Interesting reading on the banning of kids wearing goggles in during swimming lessons. Im gobsmacked, what does it take to introduce common sense approaches to these issues? There is risk in everything we do, getting in our car and driving to work has risk.Turning on the light switch has risk. But then again the human creature is not your off the shelf standard one size fits all creature. There are an small percentage of human creatures that think way way outside of the square. The chlorine levels required in public swimming pools are quite high, they have to be, to deal with the billions of microscopic organisms out kids and others deposit into it. Arent humans just disgusting?? :) Goggles it is! Next thing you will know they will be asking our channel swimmers here in Perth Western Australia to remove all dangerous sea creatures before the swim event. Not sure how the goggles issue will affect the event or the sea wildlife for that matter? Maybe without goggles the sting of the salt water will just cause us to close our eyes swim in a circle and find ourselves back in the same spot we started at. Ah millions of years of evolution and it comes to this...... Dave :)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2004 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Dave, you've obviously not read the original thread properly. If you do, you will see that this was mainly about newspaper hype. Try and keep up.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2004 08:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Wallington Sorry Jack new to the forum, and I am in the most isolated city in the world. The media love to focuss on such negative responses and knee jerk reactions in safety. Even out here in Aust. We spend years managing safety well and one bop on the nose and its in the paper. Dave
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2004 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Very true Dave - like subjects such as IT security, you don't see it when it's working but boy is it obvious when it doesn't! Our profession is plagued by mis-undertanding, deliberate or otherwise, and the perpetual temptation of management to cover their incompetence by blaming it on "'elf and safety in'nit?". As professionals who appreciate proportionate risk, we can make even the most dangerous of activities safer by simply assessing and understanding them - project the likely consequences and the probability of them happening - so we can mitigate as far as possible. It is this thorough knowledge of the hazards and risks that allow fire brigades to do what they do so successfully. An amateur might just rush in, but a professional weighs the dangers and decides appropriately. We have discussed the fact that alot of this behaviour is driven by the bogeyman called compensation - the ephemeral fear of being sued being continually reinforced by sensationalist and hysterical media which over time becomes accepted fact, simply proving Goebbals assertion that if you repeat the lie often enough people will come to believe it. The price of a relatively free press, I suppose. In fact, studies are now shonwing that there is not a substantial increase in successful claims being brought forward, but this isn't reducing these continuing fears. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story! What can we do? Well, moaning about it achieves little. Waste of time. Good professional conduct, continued education of the general populace to the concept of risk perception and proportionate action, and not allowing ourselves to be swept up in the tide and endorse knee-jerk reactions without stepping back, getting sufficient information and making a valid assessment before acting. Leadership by example.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J Does Bob the Builder wear goggles in Oz?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2004 01:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Wallington Bob the builder does not wear goggles in OZ
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2004 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart C Stragely enough I have a cut across the bridge of my nose from letting go of my goggles at an inopportune moment last night... true. But i am under no illusions and appreciate that this means i am just ham fisted. did make me wonder just jow much you can injure yourself on a pair of goggles...