Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2004 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce Can anyone advise if there is a minimum distance requirement from the building being evacuated for the safe place of assembly? A colleague has mentioned that some years ago he was advised the distance should be at least 200 metres from the bulding being evacuated. I am unable to find any reference to this. My understanding is that the place of assembly should be part of a risk based approach. The building in question is a multi occupancy 14 floor office block with low risk office activity. Thanks in anticipation of responses.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2004 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Brian, You're right to adopt a risk-based approach. Critical factors to consider are possibilities of falling debris, explosion, partial or full collapse and access for the emergency services. Bear in mind the inevitable attraction to gawkers and ensuring they do not approach the building and place themselves at risk, whether or not they are directly in your employ. Most organisations use the far side of a car park, but make sure it isn't crossing the path of vehicles trying to get in in a hurry! If you don't have car park (or it is in the building itself) then the opposite side of a quiet road or similar location would suffice. If there is a minimum safe distance then I've never come across it.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2004 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth I agree entirely with Sean! When you have identified a suitable place, indicate by signage the chosen assembly point(s) and make sure that they are also marked on your fire action signs that are in the building (usually at fire call points and/or final exit points. Regards Terry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2004 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones Brian, Agree with both Sean and Terry, I believe the muster point is referred to as "a place of safety", which should be determined by a fire risk assessment taking into account all the points mentioned already. For sure, 200 metres would be impossible to achieve for many organisations. Regards David
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2004 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt You may also be able to get an answer by asking your question on the forum of the "Means of Escape" website - http://www.means-of-escape.com/toast/toast.asp Hope this helps Regards James Goodstadt
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2004 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Clark You also need to take into account the fact that park cars are explosion/fire hazards themself Tony
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham My colleagues were convinced there must be a regulation about minimum distance that wouldn't allow us to use our car park - they thought we ought to be crossing the road and using someone else's car park! Common sense did prevail as I pointed out we could always cross the road later if flames were indeed pouring out of the building (most people's image of a fire evacuation it seems). Kate
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2004 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I have tackled it slightly differently, having separated the concepts of assembly and place of safety. My building contains the sort of hazards from which you would probably want to get to 300m away if the place was well alight. However, in every case in the last 4 years it has not actually been necessary to get to a place of safety, because it was either a false alarm or the fire was very minor and extinguished very rapidly. We therefore have assembly areas, from which we can quickly and efficiently send the personnel on to the more distant place of safety, if we need to. The assembly areas are conveniently placed, not too far from the buildings, not in the roads where people will be run over by the fire engine, but you can walk away from each of them. People wait at them for further instructions. The place of safety is a distant building some 300m away. Jane
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2004 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody I am unaware of any specific distance in any Regulations relating to fire, however, the demolition regulations require a safety zone twice the height of the building as being the potential collapse zone. A risk assessment on the potential of explosion may require this increased. In your case, assuming a 3-4 metre storey height the zone should be about 112 metres (i.e 4m X 14 storeys x 2) from the building in any direction in which it could collapse. It should be remembered that a role call needs to take place at the assembly point and confirmation of all present provided to the Fire Brigade Officer/Building Manager in control of any fire event. The further the assembly point is away, the longer to action the role call due to the time for all to get there and longer to notify the persons in charge of any unaccounted persons by returning to the Incident Control Post. Assembly points requiring crossing of roadways should be avoided due to the risk posed by the roadway itself. Having said all the above, in my experience of numerous premises evacuations you will be lucky if all personnel attend the assembly point from a multi-storey building either due to lack of training within individual organisations and or panic reaction in a real fire situation.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 July 2004 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liam Mc Conalogue Is it statutory to have an Assembly Point sign displayed when everyone has been familiarised with regular fire drills? The assembly point currently in use is located within a Police station car park across a minor road and a risk assessment has been carried out. Liam
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 July 2004 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth As a fire officer, it's interest to see such a diverse expression of view points. It is imperative that assembly points are clearly identified with appropriate signage, as even though evacuating staff members are aware of the procedures, visitors and contractors are not. The green safe indication rectangle with the words assemmbly point (in white) are recognised internationally. It is important that a role call is taken and the results given to the fire officer of the first attending appliance to arrive. If someone has not been accounted for, the officer will immediately initiate search and rescue procedures which will enevititably require additional resources. the officer will therefore commit manpower to carry out a search of (possibly a burning building)in the location were the person unaccounted for was last seen. the officer will not be at all happy if he has done so, exposing his colleagues to unnecessary danger, if the person has just gone of for a smoke etc. If anyone needs to leave an assembly point for whatever reason, they should inform the person assuming responsibility of their intentions, and must not re-enter the evacuated building for whatever reason. Exceptions to the assembly point exist for residential care homes and hospitals,whereby protected refuges are used but thats another topic in itself. Regards terry
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 July 2004 18:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I have always worked on the assumption that the company car park, if at least 50 metres from the building, is a suitable IMMEDIATE assembly point where people wait for further instructions. When the fire brigade arrives then those instructions will come from the fire officer. Not from the managing director. I have assumed, perhaps wrongly, that as soon as they arrive the fire brigade own the building and the situation. If they decide to blow it up or let it burn or tell people to "run like hell" then they have the legal right to do so. I would welcome clarification of this
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 July 2004 07:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Not sure if the Brigade have a legal right to make you follow their requests, but since they are far more competent at than any of us (excluding ex-fire officers of course!) so we would be foolish not to adhere to their advice! Fire officers on this forum have already mentioned the dangerous nature of fire and the way it can be "hidden" inside wall cavities and seeming to have been controlled and extinguished, only to re-appear later with possibly catastrophic consequences. In the same way that First Aiders are advised to call ambulances and then relinquish control to medical staff on arrival, anyone calling the Fire Brigade in needs to let them take charge when they arrive. After all, they are the experts!
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth The Fire Brigade will take control of all incidents that they attend, however, they are normally under the direction of the Police, except when an actual fire has developed, then the Brigade will take ownership of the incident. The Brigade will ensure that from the dynamic risk assessment of the scene and the information available that the evacuees from the building are kept at an acceptable distance for their own safety, should tne situation esculate. It would be considered very unprofessional to instruct people to run like hell! Should this ever be the case the command and control would have been totally lost. As for actually blowing up buildings? mmmmmm I have been a fire officer for almost 26 years and have never considered that option yet, even after serving throughout some serious troubled years here in Northern Ireland. Regards Terry
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 July 2004 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew Joseph O'Farrell I think the 200m zone may refer to the fire risks connected with storage of gas cylinders - LPG, Oxygen, acetylene, etc. Regards M.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 22 July 2004 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I think Brian has the answers he was looking for. This is really a reply to terry. During my (mock) fire fighting training (I was only a safety manager after all) I remember being told how to approach a closed door by first relying on the five senses : 1. Look at the door - is it distorted or blistering ? 2. Listen to the door - any grumbling or squeaking noises ? 3. Smell the door - gas or solvents ? 4. Touch the door - unexplained vibrations ? 5. Taste the door - honestly he couldn't find any reason for actually licking a door. If all else fails, he said, rely on your sixth sense. If you really don't like it then "withdraw in an orderly fashion" He said "run like hell" but we knew what he meant.