Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2004 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony O'Keefe If an employee who has never worn spectales before is told she requires/prescribed specs for DSE work, how much is the employer expected to pay? or does the employer have to pay at all? I believe that if an employee is prescribed specs for this work the company should be paying (DSE Regs) A quick response would be helpfull as I am getting earache. Many Thanks Tony
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Tony The employer is not expected to pay for more than a basic pair of single vision glasses. If the employeee wants fancy frames, they should pay the extra cost. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth I agree with Paul, The employer is expected to cover the cost of the eyetest and prescriptive frames and lenses under the provisions imposed by the Regulations. The user must pay any additional costs for designer frames etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2004 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Walker As a company we took the decision to make a single blanket payment that covered everyone / all opticians etc. We will pay for the cost of the consultation and a further £75 BUT ONLY after they have had an appointment with our Occ Health Dept and then present receipts. This way we avoid being ripped off by people who are claiming that the glasses are for computer work and then are never seen to wear them while at a desk.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Locksley McPherson Tony The employer only make a contribution towards corrective appliances if it is is SPECIAFIACLLY for VDU use. Normal corrective appliance are spectacles prescribeied for other purpose and are not covered. Those who need special corrective appliances may include users who already wear spectacles or contact lenses, or others who have uncorrective vision defects. Locksley
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Rose I suggest is what you do is find out the basic prie of specs at your surrounding opticians and suggest a fee (ours is £65) for the specs. This then is the maximum that can be claimed. Anything over this amount would be at their own expense. Suggesting going through occ health could be negative as this could delay staff getting the correct specs and putting them more at risk due to the delay.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Ok so what if an employee has been prescribed corrective lenses for DSE work and the lenses are complex and cost £65/£75 - who pays for the frames?? Setting a financial limit may not always be the best policy in some instances. I would certainly agree that employers should NOT be paying for designer FRAMES - but the lense cost should be covered by the employer surely??
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Many organisations, including my own, refer employees to Occ. Health first for a "Keystone" test. If the employee "fails" this, then they are referred to an optician. I am aware of the limitations of this test & that an employee can opt to see an optician at the outset, but the main source of income for opticians is from selling prescription spectacles! I believe that this approach captures more employees who may actually need corrective spectacles & also ensures some kind of standardisation.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton We have an agreement with Specsavers - eye sight test and basic VDU glasses for £61(£17 and £44). If an employee wants an eye test then they must apply to go to our preferred optician. If they need a correction to their own prescription for VDU work then we pay £44 towards this. Specsavers will not charge us for glasses not required for VDU work as this is under our contract with them. Best way - set up a contract with an optician - you have to provide a proper eye test but where it is completed is at your discretion. Hilary
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 July 2004 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Rose I would like to point out that going through one optician could be quite negative. Most people will tend to go to the same optician that they have always used. We use the same GP, dentist etc. Making this decision is going to give one firm more business than others and individuals would not necesarily have all their eye sight history to make decisions on previous history.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 July 2004 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Under the DSE Regs we have the authority to specify where the employee goes if he or she wants us to pay for the eye test. If they don't go there then we don't have to pay - very simple and saves a lot of arguments. Hilary PS We do make some exceptions of course but these are discretionary which works well.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 22 July 2004 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter Tony, No-one responding so far seems to be picking up on what the guidance associated with the Display Screen Regulations actually says. (Your respondents have also indirectly answered my posting of 15th July on same subject). Paragraph 87 of L26 states that the employer pays for lenses incorporating a prescription for display screen use - this can include multi-or varifocals - to fit a basic frame. There is no option to set a maximum limit in the Regs/guidance. Whereas most opticians can set a price for single prescription lens & basic frame (usually £50 - £55 mark), multi-focal lenses can vary and be considerably more expensive. At the end of the day, expectation should be that the employee is not out of pocket, unless they want to pay extra for the fancy tints and designer frames. In some instances, it may be necessary to obtain a quote from optician. A contractual arrangement with an optician or group may have merit - allowing for a "levelling out" of these variances in lens costs over a wide range of employees down to a 'unit charge', irrespective of the actual cost?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 July 2004 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By duncan abbott If you have a copy of SHP April 2004 my article 'Easy on the eye' will explain what you need to know. If not it will be reproduced in EZ-1 ergomics ezine in August. Regards Duncan Abbott Ergonomist www.enricosmog.com