Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Once again another thread has been hi-jacked and turned into a pompous debate that had nothing to do with the origional thread (see FLT help) If you have nothing useful to add to a thread then do exactly that and add nothing. It would make for better communication and passing of helpfull information between users. If you wish to start meaningless debates then start a new thread Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2004 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Could not agree more! I'm sick of individuals using the forum to let us know about their superior intellect If you have nothing useful to say that addressees the thread, keep it to yourself. I wonder what Bob the Builder would make of these childish outpourings
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2004 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Acceptable use guidelines These discussion forums are intended for professional discussion and debate on a variety of issues relating to health and safety in the workplace. By using the discussion forums, users are deemed to have agreed to the acceptable use guidelines. IOSH members are reminded that they must comply with the Code of Professional Conduct.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2004 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Philip I do agree (what on earth is a "post nominal" ?) even though I find myself occasionally guilty of going off at a tangent with - what I think is - a related and relevant anecdote. Sorry about that but I remember the time when ... aaaargh Merv Newman Senior SMS consultant ISQMS, BA, MIOSH, RSP, FRSH
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2004 03:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Post nominals are letters placed after one’s name. In the thread to which you make reference, if one examines the comments it can be seen that I was asked a question and I provided an answer. It appears this was threatening which I find surprising. A respondent to a topic determines the relevance of the comment I am not aware this is not acceptable. In respect to the prosaic commentary I say, why so quick to judge. As far as I am aware this is a public forum and comments are permitted so long as they follow the code of conduct, which includes not casting aspersions, just because of a differing opinion or an unconventional view point. No one is forced to read entries or respond. It would be nice to think that one could share a view and it be debated with an alternative view. I think this would be preferable and a lot more interesting. Throwing post nominals at each other has not conveyed the reasoning for the act or enlightened anyone as to the logic. Can you explain? Richard
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2004 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Richard, To explain the reason for starting this thread just look at the responses for "Help FLT", 10 responses, 4 attempted to be of assistance to the poster of the request, 1 told the poster to look on the net for themseves then proceeded to go of at a tangent with no useful addition to the posting and 5 just discussed "post nominals" I agree that different view points are what this forum is about but should be about the posting being discussed and not used to put forward unrelated thoughts. regards Phil
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2004 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen I think it’s the nature of chat forums. Like verbal chat it starts on one subject then can move off into another area entirely. If there were 4 replies giving information that is a good rate of return. I am often disappointed to see requests for information slowly falling down the page with (0) against them. I used to try to reply if I saw an item on which I had some knowledge. However a few weeks a go I replied on a legal issue which I have dealt with all my working life and was then criticised for expressing an opinion as that should have been left to company lawyers!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2004 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer This is a chat forum is it not? Not a ‘dear Dorothy Dix or Margery Proops! People are allowed to express an opinion as to the entries which tend as the previous writer suggest, meander somewhat from the original topic, but so what?. The judgemental attitude of some as to the inflexibility of the responses is absurd to say the least. I do not agree that comments following the original thread topic must thereafter follow the topic – how deathly boring would that be!!! Come on old chap wake up to the ideal of ‘freedom of speech’, or in your purview is this not allowed! It seems some commentators have the mentality of the ‘inquisitors’, but hey, don’t mention the ‘Spanish Inquisition’. This gets more Monty Python by the minute. Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Pomposity is probably more effective when people can understand what on earth you're saying. Neil Pearson, Grunt.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2004 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton As long as the original poster has their response then does it matter if the thread is hi-jacked. Sometimes hi-jacked threads are actually those that work the best - not necessarily on the subject originally under discussion, but as they meander a lot of very useful information is disclosed which I don't think can be discounted in terms of sharing information and knowledge. Sometimes as well the hi-jacked threads are very funny - we do not deal in "laughs" in our line of work and if we can laugh at ourselves then perhaps to the outside world we are not quite so stuffy and negative as we might otherwise appear. Let them be hi-jacked - raise the debate and let us have a bit of fun - life is too short to be serious all the time. Hilary
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2004 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Once again a a supercilious response, in my opinion, to which I am entitled, bordering on the offensive. I have been using this forum and the old forum for four years or more and have taken part in a lot of debate's and received a lot of help and support. I have also, when I have felt able, tried to assist others. I do not think I have ever offended anyone or given the impression of looking down on others intellectual level as some of the responders have in recent postings on this forum. Some of ,again this is only my opinion, the tripe and codswallop that has been espoused recently only serves to put people off asking for assistance which does no service to the profession or the forum. This is my last word on this forum until some respect is shown to all. Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 July 2004 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I apologise for my earlier remark: this is no place for that sort of behaviour, and I was probably being a bit of a hypocrite anyway.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 23 July 2004 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald Does any one think Wayne Rooney will go to Man U. Pete
Admin  
#14 Posted : 23 July 2004 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Cor blimey - been away for a week and toys and prams are all over the place!! Just because we are safety professionals doesn't mean we can't have a sense of humour. If a question moves off at a tangent so what! So long as we answer questions to the best of our knowledge there is no harm in having fun along the way. I agree with Hilary - well said.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 23 July 2004 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Sometime threads develop in new and interesting ways - as Hilary said, sometime they give more information than was originally asked for, sometimes they become a bit of a laugh. Ultimately, so what? Are we going to take offence at anything that is written? The forums thrive on the fact that anyone can say what they like (within reason). Too many people think they have divine rights to be beyond humour or criticism on here and then threaten not to use the forums again. (This has happened with another user recently, expresses in a private e-mail). I am sure I speak for most when I say that we want as many different views as possible on the forums, and through debate and light-hearted argument we may all learn. However, if you are offended by the conduct of others, either complain to the moderators or don't use the forums anymore - but don't be arrogant enough to believe that the forums will be worse for your absence. Kind regards Nick
Admin  
#16 Posted : 23 July 2004 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Hear hear, Nick - well put!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 23 July 2004 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KEVIN O'KANE I am reminded of the story of the kid getting bullied at school called all different names, but one day he turned to his bullies and said -"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me", and it worked ! from there on it was sticks and stones all the way. The more humour the better, I say the jobs difficult enough. I need those witty threads. Oh how I love this profession!!!!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 23 July 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J. So many replies to a thread about not replying. Think you have made your point caller!!!!! ..hmm then again i am adding to them!!! but then it is an open DISCUSSION forum.. I think!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 24 July 2004 00:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Score so far: Chip on Shoulder/Take My Ball Back/& You Can't Play in Our Gang Anymore Party 3 points. The Good Guys/Liberal Thinkers Party/Freedom of Speach Party 50,000,000 points. Oh! Looks like democracy is safe for the moment then. Anybody for 5 pound arguement? Rich in heart
Admin  
#20 Posted : 25 July 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Touraine Richard was it you (or are there 2 Dicks on the forum) who said: 'From an Aussie downunder following the following steps to achieve faultless spelling: 1. open the response box 2. open a word document 3. type out the response 4. cut and paste from the word document to the response box 5. check for sentence construction 6. post response 7. close word document. This should mitigate the risk of hazardously misspelling any words in the future.' Useful advice either way!
Admin  
#21 Posted : 26 July 2004 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Jason And your point is? I seem to have missed its significance. Or in the alternative, Thank you for providing us with an example of excellence in the mother tongue, it is indeed my comment, but oh so sadly, out of context? I detect your reference to ‘Dicks’ to be somewhat sardonic? What ever dost thou mean? More questions than answers I fear. Richard
Admin  
#22 Posted : 26 July 2004 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Hi Richard. I guess it was about people in glass houses being a bit cautious about hurling the rocks around!
Admin  
#23 Posted : 26 July 2004 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Or to put it more clearly - check the spelling of argument and speech in your posting, Richard. I think things are about to get personal again...(or they already have done)
Admin  
#24 Posted : 26 July 2004 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Haven't we done all this before? Do some spelling mistakes really matter? Is it really worth posting a new message to point out two spelling mistakes? Is it worth posting a message to say it isn't worth posting a message to point out spelling mistakes? (Damn, that's what I've done, I think......) Nick PS I know there are certain individuals who forum members are desperate to find fault with, but spelling is clutching at straws? PPS Last day of posting for a while as I'm off on holiday (not to Australia) - try to behave yourselves and act with some decorum while I am away.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 26 July 2004 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Just a thought..... Has anyone else noted the irony of the fact that a thread on hi-jacking threads has now been hi-jacked by a discussion on spelling? Regards Nick
Admin  
#26 Posted : 26 July 2004 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Yes I noted it and it will be in the third feature of the BESPOKE films. Have a good holiday Jason
Admin  
#27 Posted : 26 July 2004 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Ah I see someone’s awake Jason! I feel somewhat honoured that my commentaries are so avidly followed as in the last 3 entries I have received a quotation from the archives and in the second an explanation of the entry. Mmmm Nick - Why not Australia? Richard
Admin  
#28 Posted : 26 July 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Well, Some people have a lot of time on their hands don’t they! Should someone have all of their post nominals displayed, maybe, maybe not........ would I put them up........no, but then I don’t have too many, what is the problem if someone wants to put them up? Should threads be jacked? I think not. If someone has an opinion on this forum, why do certain people feel it necessary to criticise, and I don’t mean debate, I mean criticise. Personally speaking, if someone hi-jacked my thread over a petty irrelevant argument, I would be annoyed! By reacting to petty issues, we show just how petty we can be, but it’s not just in this profession, there are plonkers in every profession, they just might not have a public forum to display the fact that they are plonkers. The summary. Don’t hi-jack unless its relevant and certainly not if its personal and not to the original author. If its related, great, if not, start your own thread, in the least its annoying when you get five response notifications which are totally irrelevant to your original thread. If you see a word incorrectly spelled, revel in your own perfection, and then apply for a teaching job because those that can……..teach. Do I write in word first and then paste over? Yes, because its quicker and I am a busy man! Phil, a last word?
Admin  
#29 Posted : 26 July 2004 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I have started threads on this forum which have had absolutely no responses, and only about 50 readers. I have also had threads hi-jacked and dozens of responses. At least in the latter case you know that someone has taken notice! What's this business about not using the forum while on holiday? Surely a very dangerous precedent!! Laurie
Admin  
#30 Posted : 26 July 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Richard I can't afford to go to Australia on my salary, and I would feel ashamed in the face of such intelligent conversation anyway (e.g. throw another shrimp on the barbie, have another beer sheila etc. etc.) Andy Threads will always develop in new and interesting ways. If all we have on here is "FLT" "Grinder risk assessment" etc, it will be rather dull. Starters of hijacked threads may well be annoyed (I wouldn't), but what are they going to do about it? The beauty of these forums is people can say what they like (within reason). Just because someone has started a thread, doesn't mean they can stipulate who can leave responses and what they should be about. Last time I check, this was not in the acceptable use guidelines. Laurie I will be in Italy, and my laptop will be in the West Midlands.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 26 July 2004 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Nick, is that your final, final, final contribution to this thread ?
Admin  
#32 Posted : 26 July 2004 16:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson "Peter" Possibly Nick
Admin  
#33 Posted : 26 July 2004 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Turn this forum around and fly it to Cuba immediately.
Admin  
#34 Posted : 26 July 2004 22:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Touraine Oh dearie me, didn't mean to set you all off again about spelling. Why is everyone so obsessed about that? Just thought it amusing from he of the convoluted sentence who tells you all how to achieve faultless spelling and mitigate the risk of hazardously misspelling any words in the future. Now stop worrying about spelling and hijacking threads and get back to work.
Admin  
#35 Posted : 27 July 2004 00:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Nick I have been to Italy many times over the years and in fact have family there. As a matter of interest what are your major destinations? We love the place to visit, I’m not sure about living there, I have heard the medical facilities are not the best. Quote, “throw another shrimp on the Barbie” etc… are quotes from a guy that used to be a garbage man. In the wildest sense of the word he, is not known for being erudite and although he has made his mark in the USA, here he is not known for his intellectual dialogue. ‘Fair Go Mate’, don’t judge the Great Southern Land by this innocuous, but pseudo icon. “Try before you buy”. Phil You had your penultimate and now your ultimate comment to this thread does that mean you are now, beyond further salient comment? Jason I take a quote from Yoda, “sense in him the dark side I do”. I add, please give us some original material, please. Being paraphrased or quoted out of context is a bizarre form of ‘hero-worship’, while flattering serves no constructive purpose. Richard
Admin  
#36 Posted : 27 July 2004 00:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Andy I agree with your sentiment, "...If you see a word incorrectly spelled, revel in your own perfection, and then apply for a teaching job because those that can……..teach..". (sic) Jason Humour yes, supercilious and inane commentary, conveys what precisely? Richard