Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel I have seached the site for this and cant find what I am after. We are moving offices and have some old desks / chairs (I dont believe we are selling any electrical goods) which staff have enquired about buying - has anyone got a "disclaimer" type letter which would cover the fact that we are selling in good faith that we could utilise - if in fact we need such a letter thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2004 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I'm not completely sure of my ground here but I don't think a disclaimer can have any effect. You can't disclaim your statutory duties as a "supplier" of articles. Some employers refuse to pass on unwanted furniture to employees for exactly this reason.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2004 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Nigel I do not have a copy, but last time we disposed of furniture I recall that we included a reccomendation to the recipient that they should adequately check the items before use. Also, we did not knowingly passon any broken items, but advised the recipient that we did not vouch for the quality or condition of the product and that we would not accept any claims for consequential loss or damage through the use of them. As witgh most such issues, it appears to be a shame to throw stuff in to the skip, but the potential liability issues are high. Also, we did not sell the items, but asked teh recipients to make a donation to our company's annual charity.