Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2004 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Clarke Kent A client was asked to remove an underground diesel tank that had been uplifted and foam filled approximately 12 months prior. It is company procedure to have explosimeters present and switched on at all times when operating in or near potential explosive atmospheres. The explosimeters are calibrated to measure the pentane levels in petrol vapour as this is their main use. When the fill pipes were removed the explosimeter went off and work stopped. After consultation with the company responsible for the foam filling they claim that the formaldehyde resin in the foam could have triggered the explosimeter.I appreciate that under normal conditions diesel would not produce an explosive atmosphere. So my question is could the formaldehyde be responsible or do we need to recalibrate the explosimeter for diesel. Get your thinking caps on!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2004 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I think this is a question that can only be safely answered by the manufacturer of your explosimeter. Different detector types will have different responses to a whole range of organic chemicals, some of which will interfere with others. Common ones should already be researched by them. Note that if there are significant concentrations of formaldehyde about, you will need to take appropriate measures for controlling exposure to this as well