Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2004 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Purser Hiya, Can anyone out there help me? I am re-vamping our DSE policy and wondered whether anyone knew if there was advice regarding a maximum of key depressions per minutes for e.g. copy/audio typists etc. I do realise training and experience will come into this along with the DSE Assessment etc etc..... Cheers Jane Tel: 01202 704039
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2004 03:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran J Duignan Jane Legally, physiologically and psychologically, it is very dubious whether you should try to specify an upper limit to the number of key depressions of a DSE user or operator. As the Guidance on the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992, the associated 2002 update and relevant research make clear, ergonomic management is needed to get the appropriate balance for healthy safe functioning. While the key factor in determining speed may be the task goal, the upper limit may be limited by a hugh range of objective factors (e.g. lighting, design of keyboard) and variable user characteristics. While it may appear simpler to specify some figure as 'maximum', it may also be very misleading to ordinary 'naive' DSE users and operators
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2004 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller 40 words per minute are the minimum employers ask from typists. However with experience, operators can achieve up to 120 wpm Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2004 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood 120wpm = 10 keystrokes per second! Wow!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2004 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Purser Hiya, Thank you for responding to my query. I now have the info I require to ensure staff are looked after. Cheers Jane