Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2004 18:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman You might like to check out this story - it should tell Jeremy Clarkson et al what we are really working for, and how well, in the UK, we are doing it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3920919.stm
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2004 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Thanks for that pointer Merv I have cut and pasted that article. Are there any similar projects In the English recent history that have resulted in high fatalities?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2004 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Without specifically mentioning those responsible for the enormous project of upgrading Britains railways, no I can't think of anything comparable.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2004 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Lewis If you visit the "listen again" section then the whole radio programme is online.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2004 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Probably the most shocking aspect of this was the despondent defence from those responsible for the project, who were basically saying "well what can you do?". It was as if it were completely out of their hands and the rotten workers were deliberately killing and disabling themselves.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2004 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews This is no surprise at all to me. I have a cousin who has just returned to England after 25 years working in Greece and Turkey. The stories she has told me about health and safety in those countries and what happens to people who complain (it’s worse than just being sacked in some cases) would make my hair curl…… if I had any.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2004 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Victor Meldrew I seem to remember that the building of the Channel tunnel was not that brilliant when it came to casualties. I know when I did my MSc one of the tutors showed us that, at the design stage etc 'they', based on what I don't know, expected 9 fatalaties. They were apparantly quite thrilled that 'they' only had 8. Kind of puts a whole new slant on 'under budget'. Which begs another question how can they be called accidents if 'they' 'budgeted' for them?