Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2004 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I came across the following report this morning from Croner's HR website and wondered if any colleagues have been involved in the consultation through other organisations such as CIPD etc? If this goes through, then it will have a big impact on stress risk assessments and the need to make "reasonable adjustments" under DDA for employees suffering from "stress". "Lawyers have warned that proposals to extend disability protection could spark a surge in the number of employees suing for stress. Andrew Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, has proposed to broaden disability protection laws to include those with mental conditions. At present, the laws apply to physically disabled employees, and people with mental disabilities have to prove their condition is "clinically recognised" in order to qualify as disabled. This would no longer be the case under the proposal, but lawyers fear it could lead to people with less serious conditions, such as stress, attaining disabled status. David Appleton of Lewis Silkin, told The Times: "This change lowers the hurdle for people seeking to take stress cases (succeed with stress claims). "The worry is that, although they will still have to prove their condition has an adverse effect on their ability to carry out daily tasks, individuals will now be encouraged by unions and solicitors to try and push stress claims through under the protection of disability laws." The Department for Work and Pensions will introduce the change in a new Disability Discrimination Bill." Any thoughts? Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2004 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Interesting stuff. I believe that stress will now have to be defined much clearer in future by doctors etc as it is obviously gaining more and more publicity within the workplace and courts. A potential minefield for the un-prepared companies is about to be layed if what you have read is to be true. The DDA may have a beneficial effect on the companies that still today refuse to acknowledge the existence of work related stress or stress in general, but I cannot see it being the bearer of huge compensation claims in fact it may prevent the abuse of this type claim with the consultations before the courts procedures it has in place. That way some companies will rightly make the necessary changes and the ignorant companies who refuse to act will just have to pay. Stress is not an easy claim to prove as it is and if it is going to be covered within DDA then I hope there will be better definitions/diagnosis than the ones already existence. Here A puzzle I myself had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress due to an assault a few years ago. It has been running for 2 years and I have been paid by criminal injuries for that. After 5 years diagnosis I could have be given another reward. (Is it a disability? I do not know) Now lets say I was some form of lone worker for your company at the time of the assault and when I returned to work I felt very uneasy about traveling on estates and visiting strangers alone etc etc. So it was affecting my ability to perform my job and now causing work-related stress to me. What action do you think your companies would want to take? Personally I think I would have been down the road in a lot of circumstances.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2004 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I think you're probably right, but I suspect most companies would try to disguise the reason! Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt The Court of Appeal ruling in the Hatton v Sutherland case was quite clear - stress itself is not actionable but mental illness caused by stress may be (if it was caused wholly or partly by work). I can understand this and have no problem with it. What it appears the DWP are saying in this draft Bill (which I have not seen yet) is that "stress" itself may come under DDA. The HSE has defined stress as "an adverse reaction...." therefore this seems to throw the whole thing into confusion. Since when has an "adverse reaction" become a DDA issue? It seems the DWP and the HSE are clearly laying the issue of stress on the employer's shoulders, whereas the Court of Appeal have said that the employee must make the employer aware of their stress (whether work-related or not) to give the employer the opportunity to do something about it. This puts the onus on both the employer AND the employee, which seems fair (a bit like including section 7 HASAWA). This is turning into a minefield for H&S Practitioners who are trying to advise employers and employees on the best approach because the HSE view doesn't appear to sit squarely with the view taken by the civil courts. Eric
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2004 19:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran J Duignan Over the past 20 years, I've been working with issues about occupational stress as a chartered occupational psychologist, chartered Fellow of the CIPD, registered ergonomist, qualified counsellor and expert witness as well as a RSP, MIOSH. I interpret the main implication of the development Eric highlights as simply that employers will be required to assess more validly (i.e. accurately) the fitness of employees for their work responsibilities and manage them decently. Regrettably, the integration of psychological assessment within health and safety (and H R) management remains far, far below its potential. To the extent that Andrew Smith's proposal motivates employers to improve psychological assessment of all emaployees, to control levels of stress and to improve standards of performance, it may well be a productive measure in the best interests of committed employees and managers.