Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2004 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Ellwood I am looking for specific guidance to light switches in washrooms (toilet and wash basin). I have always worked on the basis that if you can touch a wash hand basin with one hand and a light switch with the other, they are too close. As this is the situation with one of my clients I have recommended that they fit a pull chord switch as a replacement. They have suggested fitting an IP66 switch instead (it is cheaper). On the basis this will significantly reduce the risk it sounds OK in principle. I have tried to check to see if this is acceptable within the electrical Regs. I have spoken with the IEE technical helpline who have told me washrooms are specifically not included in the regs (bathrooms and shower rooms are). They have however produced a guide line under BS 1361 – note 1 that suggests switches should be 300mm away from the top edge of the basin. This guideline is to prevent damage to equipment from splashing and not from electric shock. Is anyone aware of a specific reg or guideline that covers this. Regards Mike Ellwood
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2004 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor BS7671/IEE Regs are still less than specific on this one and the new Approved Document P seems to simply refer back to this. However, whilst 601 concerns itself with baths and showers, the absence of a reference in Part 6 means that the general recommendations should be followed with regard to the protection of persons. As it's the 'wet earth-fault path' issue that is key issue here, I would expect a site-specific risk assessment approach by a competent person (in electrics). The pull-cord sounds the best option - particularly if there is a risk of damage to an IP coded switch in a risk position.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2004 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman best answer I have found to this question is to fit motion detectors, with an appropriate delay allowing you to complete your business before it all goes dark again. Saves on electricity too.(I'm thinking of having them fitted in our house)
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2004 19:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Merv What if you only wish to wash your hands, rather than pass a motion? (Sorry, couldn't resist it!) Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2004 08:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Have you considered the risk of being left in the dark, Merv, - or, perhaps, H&S practitioners are well used to this?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2004 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe The information you have is correct. However it is my opinion that to fit IP66 is for an area where there are hazards present as denoted by appendix 5 of the Regs which is based on external influences. As it is a washroom to be continually used I would agree with your options or maybe even consider having the switch located outside the washroom. Hope this helps
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2004 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst a switch outside may be OK, I am usually less than enthusiastic about this - particularly for workplaces - where pranks or mistakes can be a problem for room occupants requiring artificial light for safety.