Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wayne hodges we have a number os staff that bike or jog into work,spaces for bikes has been allocated in a scure and open area, we a shower on each floor for them. complaints are on the rise as to the foul stench that their sweaty solied clothes leave when they are hanging up in the washrooms, should we provide suitable airing space, i think not,answers on a post card please?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2004 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I would have thought we all had some sort of obligation to our fellows to come into work clean and fresh smelling, and not to dump piles of foul smelling material in washrooms :-) The ACoP to the Welfare Regs is not specific, but it does require employers to provide adequate, suitable and secure space for storing staff's own clothing, and (so far as is reasonably practicable) for drying clothing. "Adequate" and "suitable" could require the special 'nature' of these garments to be considered. Adequate ventilation to the workplace is required and described as drawing clean, fresh air from outside the workplace, removing and diluting warm humid air. If the workplace contains.....other sources of......fumes or vapours, more fresh air will be needed to provide adequate ventilation. There is also a requirement for sanitary facilities and washrooms to be adequately ventilated. It's not clear if the same standard of "adequate" applies to washrooms (or are they part of the workplace anyway), but I would take it to be at least sufficient to remove foul smells. But note that unless special work clothing has to be changed into, you do not have to provide changing facilities (the law basically assumes that staff will only need a place to hang a wet jacket or overcoat). So you could provide a place for storing the offending items elsewhere than within a washroom or the workplace.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2004 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Timothy Capner Dear Wayne I had a very similar problem to yours. The persons with the "offending" articles were asked to keep their soiled clothing in a 'watertight-smellproof' bag. Just like any sports bag with a separate compartment for soiled/wet clothing. The facilities that you already have appear to be completely appropriate, all you need to do is remind the people concerned of their responsibility to others. Regards Tim Capner