Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2004 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By thomas mark evans Hi Everybody. Our company was visited the other day(Not HSE). Comment made was that Scissor Lift(electric) and Reach Truck (Electric) required a sticker for last inspection and next test date(Basically fit for purpose). Maintenance schedule kept electronically and test Certs are hard copy which we have. The comment was specifically aimed at the plant above. Reg 23 PUWER (anythig in interests of Health and Safety) is a bit ambiguous. Elec Regs i think do not apply. I am interested at what Regulations this is aimed.Has anyone any thoughts??? Best Regards Mark
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2004 00:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Reid It may be a reference to Regulation 9(4) of LOLER guidance paragraph 340 – "Anyone using the lifting equipment should be able to ascertain that it has been thoroughly examined and is likely to be safe to use. Thus it is important that when used outside its normal place of work the equipment is accompanied by appropriate evidence that this thorough examination has been carried out." This could imply what you have been told if read in isolation but it relates specifically to – (4) Every employer shall ensure that no lifting equipment – (a) leaves his undertaking; or (b) if obtained from the undertaking of another person, is used in his undertaking, unless it is accompanied by physical evidence that the last thorough examination required to be carried out under this regulation has been carried out. To comply with this many equipment rental organisations use a sticker / plate to indicate this but it is unusual for this to be the case where the item remains on a single site. I believe that the display of this information on equipment based on one site or under the control of one organisation would be classed as best practice rather than a requirement.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2004 08:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I would concur with the inspector. A user's checks of equipment requiring periodic inspection should include checking to see if the inspection is overdue. We mark all such equipment, including FLT - if we didn't, how would an FLT driver know if his truck's service was overdue? Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By thomas mark evans Thank you very much for your responses gents, much appreciated. Best Regards Mark Evans