Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2004 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods In a workers co-operative who would have overall responsibility for H&S i.e. who would be sent to jail in a worst-case scenario? Can any one answer this in less than 20 words? Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2004 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Robert, Would need more info on how this co-operative is set up. Basically, the exposure is to "the employer", however that is defined for the organisation. Employer is anyone who pays someone else to perform work. In serious offences where jail is considered, the negligence would need to be identified directly, OR the "controlling mind" would need to be determined. Assuming someone is in charge in the co-operative, and formally recognised as such, the burden falls on them. If no single person or persons are in an authoritative position over the others, then this is much more difficult to answer, but it makes for a good thread as we all ponder it! In the end, ethically you are all obliged to provide safe systems and follow them, but legally . . . not sure.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods The co-operative has members, who are in fact employees with a financial stake in the co-operative and have a say in how things are run, and employees who are simply that. There is a member that has been delegated as being responsible for H&S. Would he be the unlucky party in the event of the co-operative being prosecuted? The co-operative is run by greens and old hippies. So when the facist state gives them greif their defence would probably be to share a communal joint have a group hug and hope it all goes away. It's beginning to sound appealing.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Now there's an interesting one. 20 words you say - I (and this is only an educated guess) reckon that all those who took part in any collective decision could be subject to section 7 of HASAWA in the event of an accident. Ok that's 34 words but hey! One thing springs to mind though - if the soap dodgers are all stoned, who has responsibility for telling them not to use their spindles etc. whilst under the influence?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods It's more of a warehousing risk, more I cannot say for fear someone may know who I'm talking about.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2004 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sally Barlow Rob - think I've guessed who. Rod - I am sure the members would find your final paragraph as offensive as I do.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Well knock me down and call me Egbert! Some people can find offence in anything! If I find a spare sense of humour somewhere I'll see if if I can send it over the net. Serious point - if someone is under the influence of drink or drugs then they should not be working. In a co-operative who's going to tell them so? Wasn't me who brought up the use of joints - I'm sure we weren't talking about beef! Oh and don't tell me that hippies don't smoke dope.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams The paragraph in question may well cause offence, equally, without being PC, it may also be correct. The responsibility will lie in the cooperative's decision making. Presumably the minutes of the cooperative's planning meetings will be clear and concise (?) and identify who made and concurred with what decision! If not, then apportioning responsibility to an individual would be unlikely.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sally Barlow Ok all fair enough, sorry and point taken. Hopefully the weekend will help jump start my sense of humour.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2004 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods The health and safety at this place is second to none, as you would expect from a company values its workers members whatever they wish to be called. They also have a strict drugs and alcohol policy so no one’s ever walking around stoned. Another thing they have is a sense of humour. Lets all lighten up a bit, it’s Monday morning and at the moment a chilled, balanced caring approach to your fellow workers is more appealing than having to spend the day with a load of caffeine high, bleary eyed, stressed riddled, office dwellers.