Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter See this story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...ngland/essex/3938117.stm about a hospital's refusal of cakes from the WI. Was their change of heart a victory for commonsense or did the potential for ridicule become part of the risk assessment? Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson ...or did they just want to reduce their catering budget?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser The original news item is linked too, and I noted with interest that reasoning for the ban wasn't elf'n'safety this time but based on "medical advice". The comment about relatives and friends bringing in home-made goodies that are then shared around was poignent - one rule for some, nae rules for others! What struck me about all this was the way WI reacted to the ban - first with anger, then amusement. They reacted well by campaigning and eventually winning, without resorting to acrimonious tit-for-tat insults. Well done to them. Surely all of this could have been mitigated with some decnet communication. From the report, it seemed the WI were first informed once the decision had been taken - had they been contacted and consulted at the start, the health Trust could have saved itself from this embarrassing rule change.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I think it was the ridicule not the potential for ridicule that made them change their minds.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2004 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd What about this one then? http://www.sundaylife.co...s/story.jsp?story=544595 "Bleach has been replaced by other products...in line with health and safety regulations". Karen
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser I have a certain sympathy for that story, Karen. Bleach IS a nasty substance and familiarity with it has dulled many peoples attitude of the risks. The COSHH Regs DO ask for substition - this story illustrates where the law is for once being applied correctly. Again, I suggest that failure here is effective communciation of those involved and the full reasoning behind the change hasn't been understood. There is a lot of media coverage of MRSA and others, and the health service is under pressure to be seen to be doing something. I doubt that they would make this change if it were in fact making things less safe - although I could be wrong. They will have looked at what they are doing and have decided that this substitute is the best way to go. Without being derogatory about it, what makes the cleaners think they know more than the people who have studied and decided on the issue - assuming it was properly evaluated by qualified chemists of course! A well known brand is currently advertising it's new bleach-free product as being totally safe but still doing the job required - this isn't totally unprecedented. I presume this new product is something similar to what is being used in the hospital. It would be ironic if the cleaners then smuggled in bottles of this new product! Whenever there are changes, people rail against them. Sometimes they are wrong . . . and sometimes they are right. But most times they have no valid facts and figures to support their opposition - often only time will tell if the decision was right or wrong, and by then no-one cares are the protestors have found something else to be unhappy about. The only way to prevent a fight over any change is to be prepared with the full reasoning, communicate it and check it has been understood.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Sean, Agree with what you are saying. I posted it to see what others take on it was. I use oxybleach as it is just as effective, and I've had a few accidents with some overzealous squirting of the old bleach! It appears that communication has not been effective enough as the cleaners do not appear to be happy. Nonetheless, I think that this story does attempt to scaremonger and portray that H&S has gone a bit mad, and that perhaps the justification could have been better explained. Karen