Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2004 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By NIGEL REE Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am looking for the regulation that specifies that all people that carry out PAT testing should have a C&G qualification. Thanks Nigel
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2004 17:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sam Rawcliffe NIGEL The Electricity at Work regulations state that: "No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger, or where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work" The IEE Code of Practice states, those carrying out the inspection and testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due regard of their own safety and that of others. What should be considered is that the 'danger' to be prevented, includes not just the dangers which may arise during the testing procedure to the tester and others, but also the dangers which may arise at a later date as a result of using equipment which has not been effectively tested. The tester must have an understanding of the modes of electrical, mechanical or thermal damage to electrical equipment and appliances and their flexes which may be encountered in the environment they are to be utilised. There is no specific Regulation that says you must have a C&G, but the keywords here are competancy, technical knowledge and experience. Hope this helps Sam Rawcliffe.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2004 17:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By NIGEL REE Thanks for that Sam
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2004 17:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I would question whether it is necessary to simply visually check an appliance lead and plug and use a proprietary appliance tester. Yes, of course they need to be competent but it ain't rocket science!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2004 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Well, according to a rocket scientist friend of mine, that isn't 'rocket science' either; I guess it's a matter of what you are used to! Paul
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2004 19:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Baynes Some time ago, the organisation I work for decided to bring PAT testing in-house where possible to reduce costs. I was given the text book for the C&G qualification and entered for the exam. So I dutifully read the book, attended the course and sat the exam. It was open book, I finished at least an hour early, couldn't believe it, checked everything, waited a while then left. The course and the exam seemed to be more about the legal aspects of PAT testing than the methods of testing. I certainly did not feel competent to test any appliance as a result of this course. Yes, I did pass. No I have not tested and will not be testing any appliances. If this was the only qualification held I would not be happy that it alone demonstrated competence. I am not ignorant of electrical matters but I am not an electrician. Maybe I just had a bad experience with the course teaching but the the textbook and the exam too? I don't think so. Comes down to competence is more than just qualifications - a theme reiterated on this forum many times.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2004 20:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By richard ian white Nigel There is no duty to provide those performing Portable Appliance Testing with a C&G. My own industry (equipment rental) generally provides its employees with in-house training supported by the PAT mfgs. You may find the websites of the PAT mfgs useful for this information. Richard White