Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2004 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Any fire experts out there who could help with this? I think I know what the answer will be but here goes anyway. Our company after acquiring a 2 story business with 400 staff, downsized to about 80 & in doing so applied & got an exemption certificate. 18 months later, they are now about to take on 2 tenants with about 60 staff who are to lease parts of the 2nd floor. As the total headcount has increased I believe we should now re apply for a fire certificate, or will it be a waste of time due to them being phased out? Under the circumstances, should we reapply for a new certificate now or not.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2004 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J. Hi, depends on what, they and you are doing. Easy answer is to contact the local fire brigade fire safety officer he/she will advise. cheers
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2004 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth Generally a fire certificate enables up to 25 people to work on a ground floor and up to 10 people working on a floor other than a ground floor. I can't imagine how your company recieved an exemption certificate under the circumstances. It would be wise to consider advice from your local fire prevention office, and as regards to obtaining a new certificate, even as certificates are to be repealed, it would be wise to adopt the current standard as good practice for guidance. Regards Terry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2004 18:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ivorfire Hi, Fire Precautions Act 1971 requires an application for fire certificate to be made when there are greater than 20 persons or more than 10 persons above or below the ground floor for an office, shop or factory employed. The Fire Authority may exempt a premises the requirement for a fire certifcate under Section 5A. In doing so it will notify the premises by letter and may attach conditions to the numbers of people etc. Therefore, the notifcation of being exempt from the requirements of the fire certificate need to be examined to check if there are any conditions such as numbers. As a fire safety officer I would advise you to check with your local fire safety office/authority informing them of the numbers and they would decide at that time. Because of the pending implementation of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order (Spring 2005) most fire brigades are working up to this, it is very unlikely that a fire certificate will be amended / re-issued as effectively after this time fire certificates will not be lawful. ( Although they may help to form part of the fire risk assesment). Hope this helps, Shaun