Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2004 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff S Bottomley Can anyone help me in my quest to carry out a risk assessment that would comply with regulation 5 of DSEAR 2002. I work for a manufacturing company and have very little HFL or LPG but after a recent Audit i was infromed that a DSEAR RA would be required. Does anyone have a suitable risk assessment format with all the right headings so that i dont miss anything and a guide. Geoff Bottomley
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2004 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Geoff, we were in the same boat with several practitioners in the Company looking at this. Whilst we could understand the ACoPs and had hazards that we knew applied, we were not sufficiently tehnically competent to address our first assessment, which had to consider several relevant hazards. It was possible to learn but time was not on our side so we agreed to farm out to a recognised consultant, our first general assessment so we can learn and at least have a working assessment that we can apply immediately. This is proving much more cost effective that going it alone - and it will be seen as applying the right level of competence. One firm that has this is Chilworth Technology at http://www.chilworth.co.uk/. We hope that we can now move ahead and manage our own assessments in future as the consultancy will be providing relevant training for us. Yes, it may be expensive at first, but at least you will sleep at night! Regards, George
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2004 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff S Bottomley George Can you send me a copy of your initial one from the consultant. This will give me some idea if i can handle it. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2004 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods I've emailed you a copy of our assessment materials. Get in touch if you don't recieve them or you need advice in carrying out the assessment.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steven Taylor I'm going down the same lines as George by using a consultant. However Robert I would be intersted in seeing your documentation if you wouldn't mind sending it to me also.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2004 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Clark Hi Guys I am also going down the same avenue I would appreciate any help and info regards Tony
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2004 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Walker We are about to instal an LPG system at one of our sites and could use any help that's going in carrying out the assessment required.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2004 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Geoff I have had to do a dsear r.a. for Holsworthy Biogas where all the biological nasties like fish waste, cow manure and the like are made into methane to drive CHPs (combined heat & power) units. As all the gas is contained, except in an emergency discharge, and all the zones etc had been worked out, I thought the r.a. a fairly straightforward document; after all a hazop and subsequent r.a. had been carried out. The Hazardous Installations inspector looked over my handiwork and told me it would not be acceptable unless it dealt systematically with the points a) to J) in regulation 5. He advised me to use them as headings, which I did. Like all risk assessment you have to ask questions of the experts and find out how to derive suitable conclusions, and sometimes this leads you to new experts or guidance e.g. risk of static. I'd like to recommend trying to do it yourself, maybe with someone competent to check it, as this will have the virtue of engaging the in house expertise.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 August 2004 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth Geoff and Debbie I have just completed a draft analysis for a risk assessment to be produced under Regulation 5 of the DSEAR 2002. The analysis pertains to a LPG Aircraft firefighting simulator, However you may be able to use some of information for your own purposes Regards Terry
Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 August 2004 00:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben de la Rosa Don't know if I am following protocol here, it's my first time in. I am looking for some info on office risk assessment, can you help?