Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2004 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
I have a vacancy that I am trying to fill with someone with at least NVQ3 or equivalent in H&S. I am quite happy to accept NEBOSH Dip 1, or British Safety Council Dip, but I'm not sure at what level the new style NEBOSH Cert is? Anyone able to offer some guidance ?

Salary is £23-33k inclusive, + annual bonus, pension, flexi etc. Job is in SHP if anyone is interested. Vacancy with ABRO.

Shane.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2004 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
It is obviously less than a Dip 1, but if you look at the entry quals for the new NEBOSH Level 4 Diploma, most establishments list a level 3 qualification as a requirement and lump the Dip 1, NVQ 3 and Gen Cert as equivalents.

So maybe Gen Cert (+ experience) equivalent to Dip 1, I'm going to guess that lots of Dip 1 holders will disagree, but I think that's the way it will be viewed when the new Diploma becomes established.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey
The national occupational standards at level 3 changed in 2002. Prior to this the standards were level 3 in OSH Practice, the NEBOSH Dip 1 gave the knowledge to underpin these standards. The current standards in health and safety at level 3 are not practice standards but are designed for those with a role in health and safety. So revised NEBOSH Cert launched last year give the underpinning knowledge for these standards, the one prior to this did not although it could be considered as very similar. So to answer your question the NEBOSH Dip 1 or the DipSM from BSC are both practice standards where as the NEBOSH Cert is not designed to be. However Cert plus 5 years expereince would be a good similariity assuming that the Cert holder has been undertaking further professional training during the experience period.