Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2004 18:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dan the Man
Hi,

I've a questtion relating to the Fire Precautions Regs. It says in them that all doors on the fire escape route must open in direction of travel. I am sure however i have read somewhere (cannot remember where) that this is only necessary if there are more than 50 people likely to use the exits.

Someone please help as i need to write up a buiding RA and not sure what to do about a ground floor emergency exit door that opens inwards - it is in fact just a standard door with 'Yale' rim lock etc.

Does it matter !

Any advice greatfuly appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2004 23:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew O'Farrell
Dan
You are right on both counts. Reg 5(2)(d)states that emergency doors shall open in the direction of escape, (where necessary due to the features of the workplace, the activity carried on there, any hazard present there or any other relevant circumstance)
Home office information* for employers issued simultaneously qualified this to mean:-
a)doors providing safe egress from a high-risk area, quoting; a paint-spraying room or a large kitchen,
b) as you suggest, doors that may be used by more than 50 persons and
c) doors at the foot of a staircase where persons might be crushed by those following behind.

FIRE PRECAUTIONS IN THE WORKPLACE
Information for Employers about the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997
Home Office, ISBN 0 11 341169 3
Regards MJ
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2004 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
Dan

Why have you got a Yale lock on an emergency exit? Surely an ordinary push bar and drop bolts will do, unless this is used as a normal means of entry/exit, in which case it is not an "emergency" exit.

Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2004 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dan the Man
There is a Yale lock fitted as it is the back entrance/exit to a building, it is deemed the emergency exit as the emergency exit sigs lead to it.

So i guess the question is - should this door be replaced with a push bar type or as i originally stated is the number of employees significant. As there are a low number of personnel at any one time is it acceptable to use this door as a means of emergency exit ?