Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2004 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Bruce
Can someone please tell me whether it is now no longer permitted to work from trestles unless they have a guard and intermediate rail. I.e. is a tower scaffold now required for work.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2004 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber
David,
The use of trestles has been reducing now for quite some time, larger Construction Companies having banned their use several years ago.

The original reasons included: the intrinsic instability of trestles, they are commonly abused (nails instead of pins etc), they are easily over-extended, and they do not conform to CHSWR and MHSAWR.

The situation now is that work at height is being closely examined by the HSE, and common items such as trestles, ladders and stepladders are being phased out in favour of work access platforms with guardrails.

There are a few elegant solutions (and some less elegant ones) on the market. Have a look on the Web for lightweight access platforms.

Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2004 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter
In a UK context, test of reasonable practicability applies in preventing falls. I suggest you use Construction (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regs 1996 (available from HMSO website)+ associated guidance (a lot available free at HSE website).
Toe-boards, guard rails etc apply specifically in above '96 Regs. where a fall greater than 2 metres may result.
This rationale should be extended into all workplaces/activities (not just construction)by the implementation of Work at Height Regulations (next year?) - draft Regs available at HSE site - see consultative documents