Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By skooter1 Hi all, A few of my staff have been on IIF (incident and Injury Free) training lately, and nearly all have come back and done nothing more than talk about this video (as per thread title). All have said it is very hard hitting and would be a good tool to use in raising peoples awareness to safety. I have yet to do the training, but has anyone else on this board used this video and what was the outcome. Also is it available on down load anywhere?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By fats van den raad I have seen and used the video, and yes, it is a very hard hitting video. It is however rather expensive, last price I had for it was about £600
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2004 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Delwynne Well worth the expense! One of the best safety videos I have seen in a long time. It is a little 'american' however even the most hardened piling foreman I know had to admit it made him think.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2004 17:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By BarryS you have me all intrigued now - What is the gist of the video?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2004 17:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jennifer Kelly If this made a hardened piling forman think then I am intrigued. Can I get a brief synopsis please in order to support a possible requisition? Cheers Jennifer
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2004 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Delwynne Basically it is the story of Charlie Morecraft. He used to work in an oil refinery and had an attitude to safety which is unfortunately all too common. Namely, 'yes I understand what you're saying, but that one in a million chance will never happen to me, I'll be OK'. As you may have guessed, he wasn't. He suffered horrific burns and has gone through years of very painful treatment in order to regain some sembalance of a life. This had a fairly profound effect on him and he speaks very movingly of not only the circumstances which led up to the accident but also the effect it has had on him, his family and friends.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2004 21:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater The video "1 in 1.6 million" the story of Ken Woodward is equally good when it comes to hitting home the message that "it could be you". And he's British to boot, worked for Coca Cola and had his accident in the early 90's. He does a lot of motivational speaking at safety conferences now. Superb video - once seen never forgotten! Regards, Mark
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2004 23:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke Well, I would like to have a look at this, any chance I can put a deposit in the post, view it and then return it to you? Here's hoping! Linda SHE Knows, - but obviously not this time!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2004 08:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By fats van den raad If memory serves me correctly, the extent of Charlie's burns was due to very simple incorrect use of PPE, i.e. they were issued with fire retardant overalls and the company policy was that the overalls had to be worn with the sleeves covering the arms. It had however become custom and practise to roll sleeves up due to highg temperatures. Some other things went wrong wich led to a gas escape and the ignition source was provided by Charlie's pickup truck that was left with the engine running. Two seemingly minor breaches along with some organisational difficulties and BANG!! an accident with quite horific consequences.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 October 2004 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Duncan Brown Hi All Just in case people need to know TVA distribute "Remember Charlie" in the UK & it costs £499.Their website is www.tva.co.uk & their tel.no is 01423 531727. We at Outtakes made & sell "1 in 1.6 Million - Ken's Story" at £295. It's avaialble on a free preview and you can see the details of this film at www.outtakes.co.uk.Mark is right Ken does a lot of motvational speaking too & if you contact us (tel. 020 8289 2466) we can put you in touch with him. I hope that helps Duncan
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 October 2004 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Does anyone know of a similarly effective video for office-based staff? I saw the Charlie one when I worked in the docks industry and thought it was excellent (part of it made me cry) but I can see how people who are not in such an industrial setting might think it's not relevant to them.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 07 October 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Duncan Brown Hi Zoe Kens original film "One In 1.6 Million" was shot at home & focus's on the human experience rather than the details of his accident. As a result it has been used successfully in many non industrial environments. Duncan
Admin  
#13 Posted : 07 October 2004 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Duncan has already given the information about where you can obtain the video of Charlie Morecraft, who does tell a moving story. He actually gave the presentation, live, at the IOSH Conference about 7 years ago and I think it had the most profound effect I have seen on an audience of people, who to a certain extent, have probably already seen the results of accidents. Charlie himself is a very charming chap, whose life was turned upside down by the events of the accident, not just in the physical pain he suffered but in the fact his personal relationships became strained to the point that he divorced. The video can be previewed on the TVA site but you do really need the whole story.