Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2004 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H
This is mainly aimed at those of you involved in Construction.

Over the last few years there have been several debates about whether Rigger type boots provide adequate ankle support when compared to 'lace-up' boots.

I do not particularly want to re-open those debates, rather I have heard reports that some employers have banned rigger boots and can demonstrate a significant reduction in recorded ankle type injuries. Have any of you stopped the use of rigger boots? I would be particularly interested if you have before and after injury stats that support that line

Regards

Edward
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2004 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katie Hoyland
The problem with banning the rigger boot as with any outlawed item of PPE ( look at the fasion for hi-viz vests in the 90's ) is that they obtain cult status and become a 'must have' fashion accessory, and then you are back to square one. Maybe de-glamorising them may be a better option.

Recently our Chief Exec came into work wearing a baseball cap , purely with the intention of embarrassing a persistent wearer of a baseball cap into not wearing it as the chief exec. is not fashionable and hence shows the cap in a negative light.

This worked and the shopfloor is now free of potentially harmful head wear.

So maybe think more along these lines with the riggers.

A further problem associated with riggers is that they have a 'sexier' image than wellies and some workers ( especially building sites etc) may find that they feel more attractive when wearing them.

This is a difficult one , and i look forward to hearing how you get on.

K
x

Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2004 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Mc Nally
Edward

I work for a well services company in the oil and gas sector and at the moment there is a move towards lace up boots within our sector. I can try and dig out the presentation material if you want to forward your email address to me.

Thanks
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2004 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams
We service the offshore industry and are now finding that rigger boots are not acceptable on many offshore assets. BP have had research carried out that demonstrates injuries due to lack of ankle support. Our own stats would take afew years to demonstrate improvements due to sample size.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2004 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche
Edward,
they are now banned for use on the railway infrastructure, as they offer no ankle support whilst walking on treacherous ground,(such as oily sleepers and ballast)
I would like to see them banned in construction, however, they are cheap and popular, so you are facing an uphill struggle.

One area where they are useful is in vessel operations in the offshore industry, you can kick them off if you end up in the oggin so they don't end up acting as a pair of anchors.....
Regards
John
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2004 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Townley
I am a safety rep for the GMB at castle cement we have also banned rigger boots.In the last 12 months we had two LTA's rigger boots were a direct cause of the injuries sustained (badly sprained ankles).we so far have failed to find a suitable replacement,I did see an email on this site that mention a boot with lace and zip fasthenings we are currently trying to find this footwear I will keep you posted.

p.s ICI, TARMAC,BLUE CIRCLE AND SOME OTHERS HAVE BANNED THEM
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2004 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie
John, I fail to see how rigger boots could be a direct cause of an ankle injury. It's me experience that people tripping/falling over is probably the cause, not the boots.

They simply didn't offer the same level of protection to the ankle that other types of boots may have.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2004 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver
I would have thought that if you identify a hazard, you either eliminate it or introduce suitable control measures in order to manage the level of risk associated with the particular hazard.
Shouldn't we be doing this with regards to rigger boots.
I work in construction and see a variety of different standards on sites.
on some particular sites I have no problem wearing riggers as the sites are well laid out and well managed with good street scenes in place, but on others it is like the battle of the sommme, and no matter what footwear you have on you are likely to break an ankle.
However, I do agree that employees working with cement and hot asphalt material should not be wearing them.
Paul